Why become a member? ×

Dubious "Vintage 1976 Fender Precision...(USA)", odd switches, etc.

Stuee

Hey guys, fancy casting your expert eyes over this thing? Check the decals (I don't know anything about them). And what are those extra switches?!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1976-Fender-Precision-Bass-Guitar-USA-/140909440161"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1976-Fender-Precision-Bass-Guitar-USA-/140909440161[/url]

Looks like an early '76 that has been messed around with slightly. The decal placement is slightly off, but I've seen that on other Fenders from the period and is otherwise what you'd expect to see. Knobs, misplaced cover and tuners are right for the year, though the pickguard screws have been replaced.

It'll be interesting to see what this goes for.

Dubious mods are fairly commonplace on a bass of this age. Lots of people put out-of-phase mods in as well as series/parallel around this time. It is extremely hard to find a decal with a serial number like that, most of the knock off ones don't have a serial. The build quality in terms of decal placement, bridge cover position etc. looks consistent for the period too...

however, I can't tell if its genuine or not.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1359533928' post='1956108']It'll be interesting to see what this goes for.
[/quote]

It went for the opening price of £599. Had I been more confident in its authenticity I'd have bid for sure. Shame, but I just don't have the knowledge

Edited by Stuee