Why become a member? ×

The difference between two Ampeg pre-amps

Walker

I have an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp that I absolutely love. I feed it into the power stage of my GB Shuttle 9.2.

This weekend I bought an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro from a fellow BCer and again, it’s wonderful, but as you would expect, slightly different to the SVP when using identical settings.

I’ve fed the SVP into the power stage of the SVT and it sounds pretty much the same as when it’s into the Genz, again as expected.

The thing is, the SVP has a tone I would like to emulate– it’s hard to put my finger on it, but it seems to have a more defined attack, if that makes sense. It sounds more ‘snappy’ at the front of the note.

I’ll stop there with the descriptions!

I must admit, I’ve yet to spend lots of time tweaking the SVT, but it seems like a fundamental difference in tone rather than a tweakable thing.

Question: if I take the tubes from my SVP and try them in the SVT would that help or is it just such a different beast that I’ll need to get used to the SVT tone?

I know the audience or even my band mates would never be able to tell the difference, but it would make me really happy if I could get that defined attack back.

Any thoughts or am I being a nerd?

Thanks,

Chris

According to

http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svt4pro/

the SVT preamp has a completely different circuit; it uses three 12AX7s whereas the SVP has four 12AX7s and an ECC81 (mine does anyway).

I promised you a bunch of resistors didn't I - I'll get on it, sorry for the delay!

The SVP Pro is the preamp version of an SVT 2 pro. The preamp in the SVT 4 sounds quite a bit different, and you won't be able to get it to sound like the SVP. If you don't mind the weight, then check out the SVT 2 pro, as it sounds even better than the SVP because of the tube power section (in my opinion, of course).