Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG400 Combo

bedrovelse

Hi Guys.

Just brought this amp from a friend, yet I know absolutely nothing about it. I can't find anything on the internet or Ashdowns website.

Here's a picture.

If anyone can give some insight into this amp, what I can get out of it....etc...It would be very much appreciated.

(I'm a newbie when it comes to amps) but this also has a output for a cab extension which says 'min 4 ohm'. So I assume I can use my bands spare ashdown 8ohm cab with this thing?

Thanks guys.

Edit: Anyone know where I can get a manual for this?

Edited by bedrovelse

I think (corrections welcome) that they originally had the blue coned driver, so I'd be wondering if this has had the speaker replaced at some point.

In which case, I'd check to make sure it's an 8ohm one in there before connecting an additional cab.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1359285285' post='1952393']
I think (corrections welcome) that they originally had the blue coned driver, so I'd be wondering if this has had the speaker replaced at some point.

In which case, I'd check to make sure it's an 8ohm one in there before connecting an additional cab.
[/quote]

Yeah I think you are correct about the blue cones. My old combo had a blue cone.

To the OP: double check the speaker impedance before connecting an extension cab, just to be on the safe side.

Very nice looking combo, by the way. Quite a rare one and it looks in great condition.

Edited by RandomBass

Looking at the photo on a proper screen now, rather than my 'phone, and it looks like the woodwork at the bottom of the driver - in the center, above the port slot - has been removed...possibly to accommodate a replacement driver ?

Do you have access to a multimeter ? A quick google suggests that the DC resistance will be roughly 80% of the nominal impedance. I've just put a meter across a spare (known good) 8 Ohm Ashdown driver that I have here, and it measures between 6 & 7 Ohms. (Less than 8, more than 4...)

I had one of these until fairly recently. Bought it from here as not working - in fact, it did work, but not very often! Lots of high pitched squealing, crackling etc...but in the short periods that it did work, I really liked the sound, so I took it to a local amp guy. He traced the problem to a combination of a dodgy pot, which no amount on Servisol would cure so he replaced it, and a dry joint on the preamp board or something.

It also later developed an problem with the lead from the internal speaker to the jack that plugs into the speaker socket on the back, that led me to believe that the speaker was blown. It wasn't, which is why I happen to have a spare driver here...) Replaced the lead & jack plug and it was fine.

Only reason I sold it really was the weight - it must weigh 30+KGs, and I can't be doing with that these days.

I always preferred the old front ported Ashdown cabs to the newer rear ported designs. Whether that was the reason, or whether it's the amp itself, but IMO my old MAG400 was a definite class above later MAG rigs that I've used.

HTH.