Why become a member? ×

Reaper MIDI mapping channel to track. Possible ??

Torben Hedstrøm

Gave up on this some 3 months ago or so, and my recording gear has been an axcellent dust collectyor ever since...

-To put it simple... I bought a 16 pad MIDI-device for recording drums. With a bit of effort I succeeded in getting the thing mapped to Reaper's midi configuration. All is well, but what I would really like is to map each 'pad' to a single track in Reaper, so that I can record a drumtrack straight off tha pads, and do some mixing/levelling on it.

Anyone tried this before ?... Is it possible ?.

Yes, it is possible! Though I'd have to go away and set up a project to do it to test how then describe it. What I choose to do instead is to set up a single channel with a virtual instrument mapped to the pads. My drums of choice is Toontrack's Superior 2. Superior 2 has the option of multiple outs, so it'd be possible to send those to separate channels. To be honest though, i would record all of the pads outputs on to one track in Reaper to start with as it's easier to manage. If you don't for for Superior, there are a number of other 'plug in' packages available. Some are free, but the thing I like about Superior is that all that mixing and levelling can be done from within the plug in :) tidy, no mess and less stuff to clutter up the screen.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1359205935' post='1951525']
Or record to one track, then copy that track several times and remove all but one instrument from each track.
[/quote]

If you don't want to use multi outs [16 channels from your MIDI device] do as above.
But there is a far easier and quicker way to get drum parts from one single MIDI track to [in your case] x amount of MIDI tracks.
Every DAW has a different command for this - but it is basically 'split notes to tracks'.
It will take individual lines [say C3/C#3/D3] etc and place the lines on seperate tracks in one pass [saves copying and erasing notes]
You just then set all the tracks to MIDI channel 1 - Or if you want to use General MIDI mapping for Drums, channel 10.
Check the Reaper manual for 'Split notes to tracks'

You could also go to the Reaper forum and ask if anyone has a track or project template for your needs/MIDI device.
Basically all you need to do is have 16 MIDI tracks in Reaper and assign them to your MIDI device [Should be stuff on YouTube for this]

Garry