Why become a member? ×

My laminate bass is very boomy

thisnameistaken

I've got a 3/4 laminate bass that looks like it came from the Musima factory in the '60s. It plays nice but the sound is a bit odd - it produces a TON of bass.

I've tried a few sets of strings on this bass. It arrived with evah mediums on it, I tried spiro weich E&A and evah weich D&G, I've had silver slaps on there and currently it's wearing innovation honeys. I can hear the character of the different strings particularly the D and G, but still, notes in the lowest octave absolutely boom out.

Is this just what the bass sounds like or is there anything I can do to make it more even-sounding? I like the bass and while it sort-of sounds impressive it's not really a 'good' sound. :D

First port of call is a high pass filter (or low cut, same thing). You can find this on some amps, the AI Clarus has one. But if you can find one the FDeck HPF will sort out your problem. I'm sure other BCers will have some ideas. PS, further thought, moving the soundpost by someone who knows will also help.

Something to keep up your sleeve if that doesn't work is that you might experiment with different A & E strings - a lower gauge and tension will reduce the volume.

If you have a luthier who does a lot of bass repairs you could well find that they will have several spare sets of decent old strings kept from instruments that they have serviced/ restrung and with a bit of persuasion you can beg, steal or borrow a couple to try (...well maybe not 'steal' !).

Chances are that your sound post adjustment will sort the problem.

Would a higher tension string really make the bass less woofy? It had evah mediums on it when I got it, which were quite hard work to play, and it was still very bassy. To the previous poster who suggested lower tension strings - I've tried silver slaps on it, and am planning to put them back on for the old-school sound they've got, but I don't think they made the bass sound any less bassy.

Maybe not less 'bassy' but they should turn down the 'boomy' !

:excl: The issue is likely to just be that the sound post needs moving towards the bass bar a tad and should be a really cheap adjustment.

If its a string solution that you decide to explore then it might be useful for you to contact your preferred string manufacturer with the issue and see what they advise. Here's some info I came across recently investigating Kaplans by D'addario. Click on the tab that says HEAVY and read the description on the right hand side, and then compare it with what the description says when you click on MEDIUM ....you are entering the murky world of string tension -v- what your ear tells you!

http://www.daddariobowed.com/BowedProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4495&productid=21

I don't want to misinform you but I've found (admittedly as a classical player) that the brighter, zingier strings can help counter a typically dark sounding bass. You mention Evahs but they are a dark sounding string and I couldn't get enough definition for my liking in the lower positions. I play on an old French bass. I now use Kaplan Meds and some prototype Innovations Daf Lewis is working on and they're both great. As I say, Permanents are also well noted for their brightness and if you're feeling really manly, the original Flatchromes although they are definitely a more orchestral string.

As I say, just my thoughts though...

I appreciate the advice but my main bass is strung with steels and has a pretty good modern sound, on this laminate I'm going for a more rootsy sound (hence the silver slaps), it's not so much that I want to add top end, more that I'd like a more balanced sound. So I'm not sure that a very bright set of strings would suit. I do like the sound of the silver slaps although I've thought about trying super silvers for the extra tension.