Why become a member? ×

Bassless!

MandShef

Hey all, just wanted a moan to people who would understand my frustration!! As some will know, my old bass has been in for repairs for quite some time now, and is not due back to me 'til mid/end March. I had been borrowing a bass so I could still play with my orchestra and practice, BUT, it was badly set up and repaired, and now the neck has started to pull away from the body in an alarming way. I have had to just take the tension of the strings and stop using it, which leaves me with no bass to play. I'm using to playing every day, so it feels very strange to know that I am potentially going to be bass-less for a couple of months. I'm going to have to take up air-bass!

[quote name='nickbass' timestamp='1359117577' post='1950106']
Can you rent one for a month or two? The rental bass I used when I first started wasn't brilliant but it got me through the first few months until I knew I wanted to buy my own.
[/quote]

Thanks, you'd think so wouldn't you, but I've searched for double bass rental in Sheffield and had no luck. The music service only rents to people having lessons with them. I'm crossing fingers I'll be able to find someone to lend me one, but obviously double basses are fairly unusual things for people to just have lying around going spare ...

Sorry to hear that - I can't imagine a day without a stringed instrument of some sort, which is probably why I have so many hanging about the place, whether classical guitar electric bass or more recently double bass.

I've only been playing DB for 4 months, but I would definitely have withdrawal symptoms!

It was the bass that the luthier lent me that has failed. I have had a few people contact me with possible bass loans, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will only have to go without for a couple of weeks (ONLY!).

Sarah, yes I have had a progress report, and it's looking like I'll get my own bass back mid/late March - hurray!!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='macmellus' timestamp='1360848182' post='1977304']
Was wondering if you'd recommend this luthier of yours. Is he local to Sheffield?
[/quote]

He is based in Sheffield. Can't say I'd recommend him as yet - I put my bass in at the beginning of the summer hols last year and still haven't got it back yet! Having said that, despite it turning into a full on restoration job & taking what seems like forever, he hasn't increased the price from my original quote. I guess I will only know for sure whether he is any good when I get my bass back (hopefully sometime in March). I will keep you posted!

Just to add, I now have a borrowed bass to use. It's a rickety old thing that makes some strange buzzing noises, but at least I have something to play on :)

I'm afraid I can't help with a loan as mine's left handed and my only bass but thought I'd say hi as another Sheffield double bassist. Is the luthier Geoff, by any chance? He's the only guy I know round here, and he's done decent work for me in the past, although pretty basic stuff

[quote name='AndyBass' timestamp='1361029543' post='1980033']
I'm afraid I can't help with a loan as mine's left handed and my only bass but thought I'd say hi as another Sheffield double bassist. Is the luthier Geoff, by any chance? He's the only guy I know round here, and he's done decent work for me in the past, although pretty basic stuff
[/quote]

PM'd you Andy.