Why become a member? ×

Thanks but no thanks

[quote name='chris_b' post='203692' date='May 21 2008, 01:09 PM'].... and don't forget Dance The Night Away and Wonderful Tonight!!![/quote]

Ladeeez an a-genemen,

Mustang Sally
500 Miles
Hi-Ho Silver Lining
I'm A Believer

and of course

"I'm luvvvin Ayngellllz H-Insteaddddddd-a
And Throooo it (drop the octave here) Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwlllll"

It's the reason I started playing

cheers pj

Edited by PJ Phillips

[quote name='PJ Phillips' post='207287' date='May 27 2008, 03:24 PM']Ladeeez an a-genemen,

Mustang Sally
500 Miles
Hi-Ho Silver Lining
I'm A Believer

and of course

"I'm luvvvin Ayngellllz H-Insteaddddddd-a
And Throooo it (drop the octave here) Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwlllll"

It's the reason I started playing

cheers pj[/quote]

Amen

HAHA!

Im a bit of a gigging ho, so i tend to play most gigs thrown my way. Only ever turned down a gig if ive played there before and know the sound/venue is crap (Betsy Trottwoods in London anyone?).

Would probably only turn down a gig if there is crap money, crap venue or jus generally a crap situation.

I used to play in a classic rock covers band and we turned down loads, especially weddings - you only need one bad experience and a bit of bad judgment to put you off for life.

Now it's multiband gigs that we won't do - I just can't bear to go through that equipment change and all the rushing and overruns and having to deal with inexperienced idiots in other bands that have no manners.

There's also a minimum fee. No charities, no gigs for friends/family (whatever they offer to pay), no sound limiters and other stuff that may put us off is either already listed here on the thread or we might just get a feeling about the gig/organiser.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='206779' date='May 26 2008, 08:07 PM']fascinating reading about 'english ceilidhs' in the links from your website btw oldgit.
It's all a bit different up here![/quote]

yeah :)
Fortunatel;y Webfeet have defined English Ceilidh and that fits us nicely ...
We had to describe what we do, partly cos English audiences can't pronounce "Ceilidh" and partly cos the Webfeet definition describes what we (and loads of other bands) do - loud, lively, eclectic and electric .. No fiddle, no piano accordian, no kilts ..
The understanding of what a Ceilidh or Ceili is varies so much .. and we don't do what a Scots ceilidh band would do either :huh:

i think dancing is good. Not enough of it generally in our society! Your band sounds like a whole load of fun (to dance too, i have no idea about playing that sorta stuff)
I have seen scottish Ceilidh bands that had the loud lively electric and eclectic badge, up here they would be lumped in the same group as the trad ones.
I went with a group of friends to South Uist for new year a few years ago, we go invited to the local new years day ceilidh, that was something else. Everyone knows the dances, flings hard and no calling, not even the name of the dance- you recognise it fae the introduction.... oh and you get the mothers introducing you to their daughters!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='207685' date='May 27 2008, 10:59 PM']i think dancing is good. Not enough of it generally in our society! Your band sounds like a whole load of fun (to dance too, i have no idea about playing that sorta stuff)
I have seen scottish Ceilidh bands that had the loud lively electric and eclectic badge, up here they would be lumped in the same group as the trad ones.
I went with a group of friends to South Uist for new year a few years ago, we go invited to the local new years day ceilidh, that was something else. Everyone knows the dances, flings hard and no calling, not even the name of the dance- you recognise it fae the introduction.... oh and you get the mothers introducing you to their daughters![/quote]

ha ha yeah .. I imagine the expat scots are more traditional than the Scots themselves.
We once (way back) got booked for Burns night in Bristol by an adventourous organiser looking for something different. She was but the crowd wern't ... a very uncomfortable night ensued including a whole table of people making a cermonial departure half way through giving us the evil eye ... We don't do Burns now - but 2 guys in the band plays it in a trad band so it's no problem turning them down anyway ..

We have done Scots flavoured nights but the structured nature and concept of "right" tunes for specifc dances doesn't really fit our style.
After one such evening a 60 something very miltary type on his way out turned on his heel and marched up to the stage, ramrod straight, kilt swinging. I was a tad nervous but he came up to thank us, in his Cheltenham officer's accent, for a very entertaining night and for giving him the opportunity to dance ceilidh dancing to the Rolling Stones ... :)

It's a lot of fun to play as well as dance ... big smiles all round.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='207702' date='May 27 2008, 11:16 PM']gay gordens can be done to muse's hysteria.... :huh:[/quote]

Oh thanks I'll look into that :) We tend to morph things once they have the hang of the dance ..
Gay Gordon is a classic simple dance that everyone gets wrong - looks hilarious from on stage as they fail to get the concept of "turn around and continue in the same direction", ie walking backwards, and all crash into each other :huh:
Doesn't seem to matter how many times we show them that bit, someone fails to grasp it ...