Why become a member? ×

NBD: dual P - BC Rich Mockingbird

mcnach

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1359197390' post='1951343']
The old ones were DiMarzio. The bit this thing is missing is the old BC Rich how-many-switches?!? pre-amp.
[/quote]

I'm happy about the lack of switches... I am attracted to them like a moth to a lightbulb, I can't stop fiddling with them if I have them. I'd rather have a couple of basic options and an EQ, taht's all :lol:

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1359794806' post='1960317']
Just curious, which pickup positions do you think works best? Both individually and together.
[/quote]

The differences are there, but they are not huge.

I think the biggest difference is on the bridge pickup. The one on the Mockingbird is VERY close to the bridge, while the Thunder is nearly an inch farther. This makes the Mockingbird treblier and the DG strings brighter. I prefer the arrangement on the Westone, but in a metal setting maybe the Mockingbird's is preferred. Still, if you roll down the volume a little it fattens up the sound quite a bit and it does not sound unbalanced. Jeremy Preston's BC Rich has the pickup in the same location and his sounds wonderful ;)

I still think a reverse P at the "closer to the bridge" position might be my ideal configuration. I really like the P at the bridge.

The neck pickup... it's again a bit closer to the bridge on the Mockingbird. As a result, the Mockingbird's neck pickup is only a little farther from the bridge than a normal P, and it retains a lot of the P bass sound, just a bit deeper. It sounds mighty. That's a really good sound.
The Westone's pickup is farther still from the bridge, and farther from the Precision's position. It still has a Precision vibe about it, but it's even fatter and rounder and a bit les P-bass like than the Mockingbird.

With both pickups on, I think the Mockingbird wins. It is a very deep and beautiful sound. The Westone is not as deep, but the controls on this bass can more than compensate for that. I have not tried either in a band situation yet, so it may be that the MOckingbird's beautiful tone alone might not sound defined enough with the band, and the Westone might be better. But I am not a "both pickups on" player anyway. I very much favour the bridge, and sometimes swicth to neck.

It's tough, I now like both basses, but they are distinct enough that I have not put the Mockingbird for sale yet... and even the looks are growing on me! :lol:

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1359883973' post='1961433']
Thanks for the info. Iv not had chance to play many dual p config basses but its definately gonna be my next purchase.
[/quote]

I'm surprised they are not more common. I think they work really well outside the "standard" P configuration.