Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass Combo quick review

nottswarwick

Ok, so I played one of these today - think it was a 2by 12 combo, with the funny isobaric arrangement?

Anyway, I was in Hotrox trying out pedals, as you do....

I was using a GandL l2000 tribute, and the amp was the terror bass.

For those of you interested it sounded nice. Warm and thick, and quite poky in terms of volume. However, hardly any headroom at all for a clean sound. I could only get a clean (ish) tone with the gain right down, so the overall output was quiet.

S, for anyone who is interested, nice amp, EQ not that versatile, great thick sound, I imagine would sit very well ina a mix, but sparkly clear tones are nowhere to be seen.

Just thought I would share.

I tried one of these at Absolute music in poole just befor xmas and found pretty much the same thing with a fender jaz and gibson grabber. At the time i opted for keeping my cash! Tryed my m8s new jaz at the weekend through my TC head n RS112 (think the jaz may be the same one i tried as its same model, colour and from Absolute) loved it !!!!!!! want it !!!!!!!! spent the money FFS !!!!!!!!

[quote name='mikeh' timestamp='1358972318' post='1948000']
Hmm I was looking at getting one of the OTB500 heads as a trade for my SWR 700, might not be for me if you cant get any 'clean' volume?
[/quote]

Well, I couldn't anyway. OK so the Tribute is pretty powerful, but I had to have the gain WAYYY down low, and the volume consequently WAAYY up on the dial, and it still was not loud enough for band use in my opinion.

Guess it is horses for courses, but not for me.

I bet you could change the preamp valve, but that is hardly the point, I suppose these amps are meant to give a meaty overdrive out of the box, which it does (but without much top end zing).

I'm not totally dissing the amp, just describing what it does, and it does this well. Blues, old school soul, motown, rock, it would be nice. Massive one trick pony, but if you like that pony, hop on.

[quote name='mikeh' timestamp='1358972318' post='1948000']
Hmm I was looking at getting one of the OTB500 heads as a trade for my SWR 700, might not be for me if you cant get any 'clean' volume?
[/quote]

The heads must be a different thing to the combo then. I had one of these, and coupled with a Marshall VBC412, gigging volume in a punk band - Pistols/Clash etc - both Volume & Gain were on 2 on the amp. Admittedly any more Gain than 2 and it would have been too much for me, I only like minimum break-up, but with volume on 3 - which I did at rehearsal when I bought it - it wiped the rest of the band out. You can also swap the valves for less gainy ones, to increase clean headroom. There are threads on here about it. Agree re the eq comments, which also apply to the head, not the most versatile. It definitely has a signature tone. If you like it great, if not, you`ll need pedals to change it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1358980312' post='1948194']
The heads must be a different thing to the combo then.
[/quote]

I think the combos are the OTB500 and an SP212 cab in the same box, nothing else.

I had the combo for a while, but it was faulty (speaker was buzzing slightly at all volumes - they did mention there was a problem with the entire combo line and thought of withdrawing them, but that hasn't seem to have happened) so Orange replaced it with the separate head and cab instead - I didn't notice any difference.

I really like mine - it breaks up quite early, but I play very lightly and don't have a problem with clean headroom. Keeping the gain low (at around 9 o clock), I find there is plenty of volume left on tap. Most of the time I go through the PA as well, but there hasn't been a problem in quite loud pub gigs with only a vocal PA either, with plenty of volume left.

Aled