Why become a member? ×

The Art of Composition

Bilbo

Two things I've found that make composing easier are:
- having something to compose [i]for[/i] (I used to do theatre/modern dance/film/tv stuff). Music in this category has a specific job to do, and a specific length of time in which to do it which narrows the possibilities and focuses the creative juices. Plus, you have a director to please, which, again, narrows the choices.
- having a deadline. The question "is this the best I can do?" is always harder to answer than "is this the best I can do in the time available?"

I remember for one dance piece, I was given a simple 4 bar rhythmic figure to work to by the choreographers - this produced possibly the most interesting 2 minutes of music I've ever written (this is not saying much, sadly). Unfortunately, the piece was about 5 minutes long. :lol:

PS I agree that the head/heart dichotomy is largely twaddle (good word, that, and tragically under-used), and those unwilling to put the effort into assimilating the required technical skills are inevitably handicapped. Of course you need both. Nobody trying to make a beautiful piece of furniture would say that all you need is an eye for a good line, don't bother about learning to use the tools. Knowledge of harmony, counterpoint and arrangement are the composer's toolkit. Having said that, I think there is a case for separating the creative and analytical processes to some extent - make stuff up without over-thinking it, but then come back (as Spoombung says) the next day with your analytic head on, and then pull it apart to see how the good bits can be retained and improved and the less good bits ditched or reworked.

But then again I've not written anything original for years, so what do I know? :)

Edited by Earbrass