Why become a member? ×

Fitting a brand new neck

Walker

I'm assuming there are no ready drilled holes.

Number one: Make sure the neck is fitted nice and snugly right up to the end of the pocket.

Number two: Make sure the screw holes are in the correct place. Best to fit the neck, then push the screws through the holes in the neckplate until they make a mark, then remove the neck and [u]drill holes[/u] where the marks are. Make sure the holes are a little bit smaller than the screws for a tight fit.

Number three : Fit the neck, put the strings on and tune up. Leave the bass for 24hrs to settle before you touch the truss rod. If adjustment is needed you can tighten or loosen the truss rod the next day to get a perfect action.

Allparts necks are great and I doubt you'll have much setting up to do.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1358848057' post='1945842']
Thank you for this. This is exactly what I needed.

For the initial fitting (number three), do I turn the truss rod so that it just bites or leave it totally loose?

Thanks again,

Chris
[/quote]

I doubt it will be totally loose. I've bought new necks and they're usually pretty usable as soon as you fit them. If the truss is loose there shouldn't be a problem with tightening it up a bit right after you fit it. As the tension of the strings starts to take effect over the next few hours the neck may shift slightly and you may have to adjust the truss rod again (I'd usually wait about 24 hrs as the neck will have settled by then).

By the way I noticed on my last post I said 'screw holes where the marks are'. What I meant to say was 'drill holes where the marks are'.

Edited by gjones

I would add to that - smear some candle wax onto the screws before you first attempt to tighten them up (just rub the screw against a candle and it will collect some wax in the thread). This gives a little lubrication to the screw and should make it turn easier.

If the screw tightens up too much before it is fully home then you may need to enlarge the holes in the neck. Avoid using excessive pressure on the screws or you may damage the screw heads which will make it harder to remove the screws and replace them again later, of necessary.

If the neck is tight against the sides of the neck pocket then, again, a little touch of candle wax on the sides of the neck may help ease it into place.

The idea of waiting 24 hrs for a neck to settle is not true. Do not be afraid of truss rods. They are there for user adjustments and are the simplest thing in the world to adjust. A neck should move instantly. INSTANTLY!
If possible lightly clamp the neck in position with cauls while you put the screws in. You can even drill the holes while it is clamped using the existing holes in the heel as a guide. It can get a little cramped but is the best way if you think ahead and get it right first time.

If I was fitting a new neck I'd want to check it was lined up exactly before I drilled any holes.

With tuners fitted, position & clamp the neck into the pocket. Then run some thread form the E & G tuners down to the bridge & check alignment before drilling, a little nudge in either direction can make all the difference, before you commit to drilling & screwing.

Then proceed as in post 2 :)

John

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1359047159' post='1949020']
Worth watching all of these vids. He shows here just how easy it is to adjust a truss rod. This is a single action traditional style rod but the same applies to dual action rods.
[media]http://youtu.be/_cnfeyXy7Wg[/media]
[/quote]

Really interesting. I especially like the bit about having the strings tuned up to pitch, when adjusting the truss rod, which always made sense to me but I was afraid to do just in case something went 'crack!'.

Edited by gjones