Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BB1024 x

kulabula

hi, does anyone own a BB1024 x ? I'm interested in them and would like some feed back.How versatile are they? I've got an SR300 currently and like the look of the 1200 which is in a similar price range, and as I'm so new to everything I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm in a covers band if that makes any difference.

thanks
Andy

I have a 424x - its little brother - and its a fantastic bass. Frequently use it instead of my Spector for my covers band.
Still keep thinking about picking up a 1024 as a posher option.

Edited by Mudpup

If its anything similar, my 424x has a lovely resonance to it. You can feel it acoustically. Its really hot in output and has a zing and mid punch that ive not heard in many other basses. Both pickups are really usable and it doesnt have that jazz 'dropout' effect when both pickups are on. Its lovely and growly with a passive pup organic sound.
The only issue you may have is the neck. Coming from your Ibby, its gonna feel a lot chunkier. It was the only thing i had doubts about when i bought mine as i was used to slimmer necks. In reality, it took 30 mins to get used to it and now i love it. Feels like you can grab it and wring it when youre digging in
Bass Direct and GAK had some good deals on recently i believe.

Edited by Mudpup

Apples and oranges, really - the Yam is a very very good traditional passive P/J, which will do a very good P impression, and the SR is an active/passive beastie with those great Nordstrand Big Singles and a 3 band EQ. Old school vs newer school looks-wise, as well. The Yam has a bigger neck, if that's important to you, the SR will feel very similar to your SR (tho higher quality). Both are great basses, as with any new purchase at this sort of price, try both before you buy. IIRC, PMT in Salford might have both in stock (they certainly did at one point recently), give them a ring.

[quote name='kulabula' timestamp='1358673929' post='1942977']
hi, does anyone own a BB1024 x ? I'm interested in them and would like some feed back.How versatile are they? I've got an SR300 currently and like the look of the 1200 which is in a similar price range, and as I'm so new to everything I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm in a covers band if that makes any difference.

thanks
Andy
[/quote]

I've never played or heard the other models you mention , but I am very familiar with the BB2024X that the BB1024x is based on ( same design , pickups, bridge ect ) and in terms of it being versatile I would have to say that it certainly is . The PJ setup is much better than on any Fender - style bass I have ever played , mainly because Yamaha have designed and positioned the J pickup in such a way as to make it so powerful that it doesn't suffer the weak output of so many J bass pickups in comparison to the more beefy sounding P pickup , and also the bass suffers far less from phase cancellation when you put both pickups on together . I can't imagine any musical setting where these basses wouldn't sound good - from punk to jazz fusion they will give you a great sound - and there is something about them that just sounds right no matter what you do . I'm sure the 1024 won't sound that different to the 2024 considering the similarities between them .