Why become a member? ×

Hartke HA 4000

Jase

Ello,

Just wondered if anyone uses one of these heads. I 've been using this regularly for the last few months and last week noticed a drop in the signal...as if someone turned me down by half, then it comes back in.......Or, as I'm about to start playing, switch it on and....nothing, not a sound, all of a sudden comes straight back in.

The other thing I've noticed is the clip light flickers at a reasonably low volume. I've checked all other possibilities like leads, bass, fx and mains and can't put my finger on the problem. The amp is used with an 8x10 4ohm cab.

Any suggestions would be great :)

cheers
Jase.

If it's out of warranty, open the top, with the power lead DISCONNECTED :) and unclip and remake all the wire connectors that join the circuit boards together. Also undo the valve in the preamp (if it has one) and make sure it's all OK (no loose bits on the inside) then put it back. The connector wires sometimes work loose (they did once on my HA2000) after being run around in the boot of my car for a few months. Unless there's something obvious like that.. it's into the service guys.

Richard

[quote name='Jase' post='201863' date='May 18 2008, 11:48 PM']Ok, I'll give that a go...should be fine, I know what I'm doing :) I'll post back![/quote]

keep one hand in your pocket if you're inside an amp....those caps can hold charge for quite a while !!

Actually, I think it may be the input socket/jack on the amp....I tried the route Vasquez suggested and the amp still seemed a little untrustworthy :) .... But what I did notice was the jack appeared to be very slack inside...as if it hadn't clipped onto the lead in the usual way and comparing it to the -20db input I think (hope) that's the problem...

Is it one of these fully enclosed plastic jack sockets that are soldered directly onto a PCB ?

I had to replace a couple of these on my HA3500. They're not the best quality jacks unfortunately but, because of the PCB mounting, it can be tricky to get replacements (have to ask Hartke for them).

It might be possible to repace the jack with an "open type" Switchcraft jack and just solder wires from the jack socket and onto the PCB ? It's a bit fiddly but the end result would be a much sturdier jack socket. I did something similar to this on an small Fender Champ because the cheap plastic Fender jack sockets were brittle and would fall apart through use.

[quote name='BOD2' post='202656' date='May 20 2008, 10:05 AM']Is it one of these fully enclosed plastic jack sockets that are soldered directly onto a PCB ?

I had to replace a couple of these on my HA3500. They're not the best quality jacks unfortunately but, because of the PCB mounting, it can be tricky to get replacements (have to ask Hartke for them).

It might be possible to repace the jack with an "open type" Switchcraft jack and just solder wires from the jack socket and onto the PCB ? It's a bit fiddly but the end result would be a much sturdier jack socket. I did something similar to this on an small Fender Champ because the cheap plastic Fender jack sockets were brittle and would fall apart through use.[/quote]

Cheers BOD, yes it is one of the enclosed type....you've hit the nail right on the head, it has to be the jack, suppose it makes sense if you had to replace them on a HA3500.....tidy darts! I was beginning to think the amp was just unreliable :)

Ta very much!

[quote name='Jase' post='202731' date='May 20 2008, 11:38 AM']Cheers BOD, yes it is one of the enclosed type....you've hit the nail right on the head, it has to be the jack, suppose it makes sense if you had to replace them on a HA3500.....tidy darts! I was beginning to think the amp was just unreliable :)

Ta very much![/quote]

Whoa, this is strange - I've had the same problem for ages with my little Hartke Kickback 12 combo. If I move the jack around a bit, the sound returns. Looks like I'll have to open it up and check for loose connections.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on my HA4000...found the culprit or culprits, although I had checked the connections to the boards inside I failed to check the little ones from the volume, eq, mid range, bandwidth, etc....all were lose or not connected at all...sorted :) I shall now be checking periodically that the little suckers are clipped on. So, no contacting Hartke and best of all no forking out for a new amp!!

[quote name='peted' post='216107' date='Jun 10 2008, 12:58 PM']Great news. It's always nice when a you can fix your own amp, even better when it's free![/quote]

Aye it is...used it for a two gigs over the weekend...not a peep of trouble. The only thing I did get in touch with Hartke for was a case for the HA4000, they don't make them, thought they might have done something along the lines of the HA3500a...you know, the amp type casing. I'm a little concerned about the over hang of the Westfield case it's in at the mo...too much of it hanging over the back of the cab.

• 4 months later...

I had this problem and got round to putting it in for repair this week. The Engineer phoned me this morning and told me the attenuation on the active input was set far too high and this was causing it to clip and cut out. So great news as its costing me a lot less than I expected and there is nothing really wrong with the amp :)