Why become a member? ×

Fried pedals

spoo_bass

I just thought i'd start this topic in order to see if anyone has ever experienced a similar problem to this one: Left my room for around two hours with both of the pedals i was using at the time off (Behringer bass OD and Digitech bass synth wah), came back and attempted to use them, but both of them for some reason no longer working! So i tried the obvious things of testing the power supply, using a different one, trying them both with 9V batteries instead but to no avail. I was thinking that it was perhaps some sort of power surge...but i've no way of knowing for sure; my computer was plugged into the same socket and that's fine :S

Soo yesterday i took them into my local music shop (Gamlins Cardiff), they had a look, found that the OD may still have a little life in it but that the synth wah may be totally fried, reffered me to the electrician they use though it seems it may cost me more to get them fixed than to actually replace them if the work takes some time.
Any advice on this matter would be muchh appreciated :)

P.S i was also told that the digitech synth wah's are notorious for doing this sort of thing?

I cant really offer advice because I’ve had a similar problem with my DigiTech Synth Wah (the guitar version). Mine turns on but gives horrible feedback – the big red LED lights up and all sorts of squealing sounds come out of it.
It’s a great pedal and I’m gutted it appears to be shot to death. I tried to fix it myself and opened it up but with my not so trained eye I couldn’t see anything wrong and didn’t particularly want to fiddle about with it any further.
It’s not really worth a lot but it holds a bit of sentimental value to me as it was the 2nd ever pedal I bought and I got it from a music shop in New York called Rudy’s in 2003.

Let me know if you find out what’s wrong with yours and I’ll have to have another fiddle with mine.

Haha, fairplay the Behringer pedals [i][/i]are[i][/i] a tad on the cheap side butt i actually thought it sounded OK (bearing in mind i only ever played it through a tinny amp) but the Synth wah is the greatest loss. I suppose it is possible that the wah blew and hit the OD, i figure i'll just take it to be repaired, and if it does end up costing me more than just buying a new one i'll just try and find a replacement. Any suggestions for more reliable synth/OD pedals?

I appear to have figured out the problem! Though this will make me sound like a bit of a n00b i'm sure, but the guys in the music shop made the same mistake too...what it was is that i checked them with a 9v battery when they unplugged from the series with jack inputs...it seems that these jack inputs for most pedals are what activates them when they are hooked up to a power supply (i didn't think this was the case as with my big muff this is not so). So after much taking apart of the OD pedal and wiggling jacks about i got some life, and found an identical problem in the synth wah, so it seems that it iss only the power supply inputs that have been fried, and hopefully these will not be too costly to replace :)

That makes sense.

But you still need to figure out WHY the power supply inputs on the pedals have been damaged. I would still be looking at the power supply itself.

Is it a regulated or unregulated one (it usually says on the label) ?

Does it have a voltage selector for setting different voltages or is it a fixed voltage ?

And what about the power jacks that plug into the pedals. Are they fixed or do they come off ?

Yeh i was thinking that, it's all very well that they seem to be OK but it's possible something like that may happen agian. I've been running them both from a zoom fixed 9v adaptor with butterfly connections, the jack inputs from the synth wah are removeable screw-ins but the OD jack inputs are fixed. At the mo i'm running them off recharchable 9V batteries pending power supply input replacement...