Why become a member? ×

A new PRS project.

The Burpster

I know I have been quiet for a while, and certainly very quiet in the build or pimping departments.

I am about to rectify that situation though, as I have a new PRS project on the go.

Anyone that's been around a while will know that I have sold my soul to Mr Smith, but that doesn't mean that his design cannot be improved upon.

I have for some years wanted a full Bartolini electrics equipped PRS, to add to the Bart preamped PRS pickuped one that I created several years ago. However this cated a quandary in that Bart pups are a different shape and size to the std PRS single coils.

The quandary was that I would have to find a suitable donor guitar to have re-routed and finished. Well late on last year I came across 2 EB IVs on eBay and having secured them I ended up with what I understood was a 10 top inlayed model and what I thought was a CAR solid painted model, this was to be the donor originally.....

Having bought them though and getting them home and fettling with them, the CAR one turned out to be NIRVANA for me, a translucent red wash on a Swamp ash body and maple/maple neck. This bass is 1 serial number different from my fist and original PRS bass of the same spec and this was was bought here in the UK with a full history.... There is no way I could do anything to this one other than set it up and string it with Chromes...... Yes it is as fantastic as my first one and, despite not liking red guitars I have fallen for it and absolutely love it.......

This left me with ( what should've been / could've been) a 10 top finished in blue. Well it was a pretty guitar when I got it home but it has had a shady past. It still had a PRS preamp in it but had been rewired by 5 yr old following a dubious refinish job. Sadly the guy I had bought it from had been a bit duped by a dealer in the US from whom he'd bought it a few years ago. My (educated) guess is that it was a 10 top that had been either really used or abused (more likely) by a rich kid and then re finished on a budget by a scrupulous dealer and then shifted on eBay. I mean who in their right mind would repaint a PRS body (relatively well) and then put it back together with rusty components that damage the paint finish.....?

So a bit of soul searching later I decided to take the original PRS parts out of it and store them and order up new Bart parts from the US.

I then took the body and neck (neck had dinks in the face of the headstock probably from string ends) to Sims to see if the project had legs. Well after a few emails and then a visit to Kent the bits were left there for Martin and Rob to do their stuff.

So here I am now with the finished parts back and ready to do the rest of the work to. I won't dilute the surprise of what I got the guys to do as I want you to judge it first hand when completed.

I have most of the components I need to complete the assembly but need to do the bridge which will be done next week. Once I have his done I will complete the build and put some pics up here.

I hope you will be as impressed as I am by the work done by Sims, but I genuinely hope the Bart set up works as I hope it will do......

Edited by The Burpster