Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Adding another cab advice

neptunehealer

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1358262677' post='1935850']
You also need to do some research! There are loads of threads on here about the perceived costs and benefits of mixing speaker sizes, mixing manufacturers, the "tone" produced by different amps, cabs and basses (BTW, I've never found my Geddy Lee to be shy in the low end!), and pretty much all the answers to your various questions can be found in those threads.

If you want two 8 ohm cabs then that is your prerogative, but as others have tried to tell you, there are other approaches! Many of us have gone through the stage that you are at now, and you could easily benefit from our experiences if you do a bit of digging to find the relevant threads.

Out of interest, would one four ohm 6x10 not be a better option than two mis-matched eight ohm cabs? Just a suggestion.
[/quote]

Too much to lug mate - i want to split the stack up. There is such a massive guf in price between the Genz Focus range and the MB cabs. From what i hear on the youtube demo's - the Genz Focus range sounds nice.

You should also consider whether you need 410s at all. 212s and 210s can go very loud if you use them well. I have just bought 2 210s (SVT210AVs) on here after reading lots of reviews and information about vertical stacking of drivers.

I would look in the for sale sections here, if you see something interesting, buy it. If it isn't for you, you can put it back up on here and pass it on :) This is what many people on here do to try out gear.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1358265409' post='1935943']
I would look in the for sale sections here, if you see something interesting, buy it. If it isn't for you, you can put it back up on here and pass it on :) This is what many people on here do to try out gear.
[/quote]

Great advice! Its a buyer's market at the moment so there are serious bargains to be had. If they don't light your fire, sell them on again and in most cases you should get nigh enough what you paid for them!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1358261405' post='1935798']
I think you're over analysing this. It's understandable, you want to get the best sound for your money, but, be honest, anything will be an improvement on your Laney (sorry!).

You really won't need another cab with a DB410. It's that good. They are a little heavy but their tone and volume is right up there with the best of the best.

I don't know about working with your amp, I expect that it would. I've owned 2 Markbass amps and they worked well with every cab I bought, but at this price you could buy this cab and a new Aguilar TH500, really blow your band away, and still be in budget.

But, as I said in your other thread, the Genz Focus range would probably suit you as well.

You need to test some gear.
[/quote]

Have to go with this...

I use 2xDB210's and they are great units. I would fully expect the Markbass amp to work very well with this DB410....
I don't think you will run out of limits on the cab. Your next change will be your amp, IMO...but then you get into the realms
of really fine tuning your sound....but there is a pretty decent chance you wont want or need to.

The only time you will want to add another cab is for BIG stages but then you should also be in the realms of mon mixes and
side fills..... or you are looking at a real step up in amp..and one that runs to 2 ohms.

Sooner or later, you'll go Db750/751 :lol: :lol: but you need the gigs for it...it is just to much for a lot of gigs and your drummer will not thank you for it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If there is a DB410 in VGC nick for around £300, bite their hand off... if you don't mind lugging 410's..which you obviously don't.

DB series are worth a listen, IMO.