Why become a member? ×

Another dust hits the one

equalsql

Hi Chaps,
I'm another old fogey whose decided to join the fun. I've been lurking on the forums for some time now but thought it was about time to get involved,

I've been playing bass for over 36 years. Started with a beautiful Kimbara ripper bass copy back in 76',
and the progressed to a Fender P fretless in 78 which I had to sell in 83 due to finance problems (which gutted me) but which I was re-united with this summer after 30 years .God bless Ebay!.
I used to own a Vigier passion 4 string and an Ibanez Musician, but then the kids came along <sigh>

Currently using an old 'Fame' J bass copy, a Peavey Grind 6 and my beloved P fretless. but now looking for a 5 string :rolleyes:

I haven't gigged in years, but do a fair bit of recording, play alot of guitar too.

Cheers

equalsql

Hello and welcome equalsql,

You've done the right thing by coming out of the shadows. How is your Peavey grind? I looked at those for a while before settling on my Hohner B bass 6. There is so much choice out there, beware of the GAS! It'll cost you more than the kids did!

Cheers Leen.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1358202424' post='1934934']
How is your Peavey grind? I looked at those for a while before settling on my Hohner B bass 6.

Cheers Leen.
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome :)
I must admit I'm torn on the open pore finish as it's a bit rough and feels dare I say 'cheap', also the bass buzzes a fair bit when recording so it's going to need some shielding in the cavity. I can't moan though as I got it for a song on ebay. Still can't get used to such a wide neck though, hence my 5 sting search, cos I just love the low B B)

Edited by equalsql

Hey chap,

Welcome up to the surface down here!
Cool story despite the sad notes - notes many on here do recognise. Not Leen though, as he's just starting to feel what kids will do to a man.

Anyway, with 36 odd years behind you, you must be able to keep us whippersnappers hanging on your lips, I'm sure. Do tell some and teach some.

Enjoy the site and the community!

BTW, are you Equals QL or Equal SQL or something different?

best,
bert

[quote name='equalsql' timestamp='1358203467' post='1934969']

Can't get used to such a wide neck though, hence my 5 sting search, cos I just love the low B B)
[/quote]

I know what you mean, took me a while to get used to it. My Ibanez 5 string feels amazing, very comfortable and fast neck, best I've tried.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1358204423' post='1934986']

Enjoy the site and the community!

BTW, are you Equals QL or Equal SQL or something different?

best,
bert
[/quote]

Thanks Bert.
It's actually Pat , but the moniker is just equalsql (you can tell I'm a lame programmer :P )

And kids... just thinking of all the lovely gear I 'could' have owned - sob. But then I couldn't replace my two gals cos their great.
Just got alot of catching up to do :)

Time is merciless don't you know.

Hi Pat, welcome! I started playing bass in 74, so you must be nearly as old as I am!! :o
Was your fretless P the [i]actual[/i] [i]one [/i]you lost contact with for 30 years? Awesome.

[quote name='equalsql' timestamp='1358241207' post='1935211']
Time is merciless don't you know.[/quote]

[size=4]Yeah, I [/size][i]do[/i][size=4] know. ;)[/size]

:crigon_04:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358247387' post='1935355']
Hi Pat, welcome! I started playing bass in 74, so you must be nearly as old as I am!! :o
Was your fretless P the [i]actual[/i] [i]one [/i]you lost contact with for 30 years? Awesome.
[/quote]

Indeed it was!.... and it's quite a tale which I'll post up later :)