Why become a member? ×

Can I use active pickups in my MIM Urge MX Bass ?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I have recently aquired a MIM Fender Urge MX Bass , it has a 2 band eq (bass/treble) which is powered by a 9 volt battery , does this mean that I can use active pickups ? Will the single 9 volt battery provide enough juice for the pickups ? I am currently looking into replacement pickups for this bass and don't want to limit myself to passive pickups if I dont have to.

Although there may well be some pickups made specifically to go with active electronics I think many, if not most, will be no different. With an active bass you have a pre-amp in the guitar and in passive you don't but the pickups need not be any different.

So far as I'm aware there aren't that many active pickups anyway so you won't be limiting yourself very much by looking at just passive ones.

Passive will give you immense opportunity for changing the tone. You could always fit another pre too.

ACG .... cough!

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='thewalruswaspaul' post='201091' date='May 17 2008, 04:01 PM']Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I have recently aquired a MIM Fender Urge MX Bass , it has a 2 band eq (bass/treble) which is powered by a 9 volt battery , does this mean that I can use active pickups ? Will the single 9 volt battery provide enough juice for the pickups ? I am currently looking into replacement pickups for this bass and don't want to limit myself to passive pickups if I dont have to.[/quote]
Hi
For what its worth I have just acquired the same model MIM Urge bass and I swopped the original noisy PUPS for my fav. DiMarzio Model Js. ( Passive )
Really pleased with the sound ( and the lack of Hum and Microphony ).

Regards

Will.

[quote name='2x18' post='201218' date='May 17 2008, 08:02 PM']Hi
For what its worth I have just acquired the same model MIM Urge bass and I swopped the original noisy PUPS for my fav. DiMarzio Model Js. ( Passive )
Really pleased with the sound ( and the lack of Hum and Microphony ).

Regards

Will.[/quote]

Cool , I may well have to look into the model J's , has the bass response improved since the swap? as the sound on my bass at the moment is a little on the bright side and I am looking for something a bit deeper and with killer punch

(Cool , I may well have to look into the model J's , has the bass response improved since the swap? as the sound on my bass at the moment is a little on the bright side and I am looking for something a bit deeper and with killer punch )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes the bottom end is Trouser flapping, but not muddy. Although my Mark Bass LMII and BFM Omni15 cab certainly help matters.
You are welcome to come and compare it if you are in the Leeds area.

Regards

Will.