Why become a member? ×

SWR Silverado

MiltyG565

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1358019045' post='1932027']
No, you are in the right place!

The Silverado is a good combo, as most SWR gear from that era was, but it's low powered (220 watts at 8 ohms) and pretty big and heavy (70lbs), so hard to move. EQ is useful, with a mid sweep.

Cheers

Gareth
[/quote]

I thought it was 350watts? Any idea what an aural enhancer does?

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1358020167' post='1932048']
It'll be around 350 watts with an 8 ohm extension cab. The later 2x12 version (Silverado Special) was a 350 watt combo.

The aural enhancer is effectively a mid cut: the more you turn it up the more it cuts the mids while boosting the lows and highs.
[/quote]

Ah right, thanks very much! i'm happy with 220 watts, i have no big plans for it really, just using around the house, lessons maybe, a few recordings, no big gigs or anything.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1358021048' post='1932071']
Ah right, thanks very much! i'm happy with 220 watts, i have no big plans for it really, just using around the house, lessons maybe, a few recordings, no big gigs or anything.
[/quote]

Then it'll be perfect. These are fairly rare over here and as Walbassist says, fairly heavy. The four eight inch speakers give a really tight defined bass tone (a bit like PJB gear) and if you do want to gig it, you can always slap an 8 ohm 1x15 or similar under it for a bit more power. The aural enhancer is just a excellent bit of kit present on most, if not all, SWR amps. in most instances I find you just need a quick twiddle on this to find 'your tone' and then tweak it using the main tone stack. If the price is right, I'd go for it.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1358066414' post='1932423']
Given the state of the market, and the age of the combo, I personally wouldn't go over about £250.
[/quote]

Oh really? he's not desperate to sell, although it has been up for a month or more, recently readvertised though.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1358067521' post='1932435']
Oh really? he's not desperate to sell, although it has been up for a month or more, recently readvertised though.
[/quote]

That's just me. If he isn't desperate to sell he's less likely to be open to haggling. If you are comfortable offering £280 then why not try that.

Well I always think if it's something you really want, then why not pay over the odds a little? Why risk losing it just because you don't want to spend an extra £20-£30?

Back to OP, all my experience with SWR gear has been extremely positive. Just had a look online at the silverado and it looks very decent indeed!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1358072681' post='1932520']
Well I always think if it's something you really want, then why not pay over the odds a little? Why risk losing it just because you don't want to spend an extra £20-£30?

Back to OP, all my experience with SWR gear has been extremely positive. Just had a look online at the silverado and it looks very decent indeed!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Yes, i had heard good things, and i had read about some of their recent amps that had very good reviews. The guy that owns this amp said it sound great, and constantly has other bassists saying how great it sounds at gigs, but when he gigs, it just gets DI'd and he uses a lot of distortion and other effects, so it just wasn't being used like it should.

I want it, but i don't want to pay more than i have to for it. I don't understand why wanting something means you should pay more for it, obviously if nobody wanted it, there wouldn't even be a point in putting it up for sale.

Just had this at my bass lesson. My teacher was pretty impressed by it. He said it sounded particularly good with my bass, which has a more classic sound, and everything sounds lovely and smooth and fat, there's no harshness, but no boominess from it either, it's just lovely. lovely, lovely, lovely.

• 1 month later...

oh yes, here is a video i made. This is with my onboard preamp everything at 0, and with the amp's preamp EQ set flat, maybe with a bit of a mid scoop, not much though. Slight gain, but this is just the genuine tone of the valve preamp and my bass. It's DI'd because i don't have a mic. Maybe when i get a mic, i'll do another video.

Edited by MiltyG565