Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Paying for music or not ?

Les

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1357406064' post='1922248']
just spending my £25. Itunes voucher, yes always even for band stuff,the odd 99p for a song,its not that bad.
[/quote]
I always end up buying the albums as they are better value per song anyway, and then if I find a song or two that I also like, then quids in!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1357561535' post='1924413']
I would like to think that you consider the instruments you make in part at least art. Would they then not be better if you gave them away for free?
[/quote]The difference is you cant download a guitar otherwise I would be in the same position. Also I would say that it is a different realm of art. More like sculpture or pottery with little to no metaphysical aspect. Craft more than art. Obviously any affect on the music industry has a knock on effect to all musically related sales, guitars included.

I used to borrow my mates' LPs and record them onto cassette. Of course, the quality was rubbish compared with the original, so any band I really liked, I went out and bought a copy of the LP myself.

Nowadays I rip copies of my mates' CDs (or rent them from my local library - for which the artist receives royalties). Of course, the quality of MP3s isn't as good compared with the original CD, so any music I really like, I buy a copy of the CD myself (even if I listen to my music via my iPhone for the most part).

My understanding was this type of low-level sharing was tolerated by the industry, as one CD is usually only copied half-a-dozen times. Online sharing has the potential of being shared millions of times from only one original purchase.

If someone in the band suggests a new song, we share the MP3. If no-one has it (and I'm rubbish at learning from Youtube), then I have no qualms about splashing out 89p or whatever and downloading it, even if I don't particularly like the original and never play it once I've recorded a version of the band playing it (often our arrangements and/or key differs from the original, so it's easier to practice playing along to a recording of our own rehearsal). Sometimes I've discovered a new band that way and have bought the CD.

If I had gone to the trouble and expense of writing and recording original material and then found someone passing round copies for free, I'd be a bit miffed, wouldn't you?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1357563353' post='1924458']
I don't think that's true, but even if you do believe some instruments are simply tools, IMO the basses that Mr Letts produces are special enough to be considered at least partially art - otherwise they would simply look like Fender clones.
[/quote]

I don't think the fact that something looks different to a Fender is a good justification of something being a work of art. Besides, what about the first Fender bass - would that be a work of art by your definition?

There's no doubt that some basses are more 'refined' than others in the sense of the craft skills required to build them, but they are still tools of the trade for a musician - and we all know that some great music has been created using basic instruments.

It's a bit like furniture. A chippendale may be a highly valued piece of craftsmanship but it's still only a chair. Indeed, it may not even be as comfortable (i.e. fit for purpose) as a simpler, more modern, chair.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1357566670' post='1924542']
If I had gone to the trouble and expense of writing and recording original material and then found someone passing round copies for free, I'd be a bit miffed, wouldn't you?
[/quote]

I'd be happy that somebody actually wants to listen to our music, in the past we've even given out free cd's at shows to get more people listening to our stuff.

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1357567749' post='1924569']
I'd be happy that somebody actually wants to listen to our music, in the past we've even given out free cd's at shows to get more people listening to our stuff.
[/quote]

If that's your decision, though, that's great. You've decided to give your music away as a loss leader to encourage sales further down the line. That's different from you wanting to charge for it and someone deciding they don't want to pay you for it.

I went to a gig recently where the support band did exactly that (they were called All The Young). I've been keeping an eye out for their first "proper" CD and will be buying it when I find it.

I think we also have to be careful in suggesting that touring is a way for bands to make money. There is a certain economy of scale involved there, and many bands/artists are currently scaling down their live appearances for the very opposite reasons. Too many people trying to take a cut of the profits!

An example, for those of you who remember eighties neo-prog outfit Marillion, comes from their original singer "Fish".

I have copied this from his recent blog - the whole thing can be read here: [i][url="http://fishheadsclub.com/2012/12/22/not-the-end-of-the-world/"]http://fishheadsclub...d-of-the-world/[/url][/i] but this part is pertinent to this discussion... The "FishHeads Club scenario of which he speaks refers to a three-piece acoustic stripped-down version of the material, toured with minimal personel and therefore expense.

[i]"(Stage and tour manager) Yatta has booked around 6 weeks of electric band touring from September. Dates will be released as soon as I have full confirmations. This will be the limit of our touring capabilities this year. Costs have increased and promoters are nervous with guarantees in this economic climate. It’s been tough for Yatta to get the routing together and to make financial sense of it all. Everyone wants to tour these days and venues are getting booked up and are in the driving seat re deals and percentages being taken on merchandise. I refuse to play venues who take percentages. They are just becoming retail outfits where we bring in the customers. Everyone concerned with touring wants bigger slices of the pie but there is just not enough pie to go round these days. I may go back to a more affordable Fishheads Club tour scenario in 2014 but the full electric outfit is doubtful. It’s time to examine other options."[/i]

Edited by Conan