Why become a member? ×

MIM 50's precision & 60's jazz

artisan

[quote name='The Burpster' post='200097' date='May 16 2008, 06:58 AM']The woodwork will be pretty much the same as a US.... The hardware maybe not be as good but its upgradeable.....

If you like it go for it....[/quote]

Might be wrong here but arn't they made from Basswood ?

[quote name='Marcus' post='200099' date='May 16 2008, 08:05 AM']Might be wrong here but arn't they made from Basswood ?[/quote]

according to Fender's website they both have alder bodies.

just looked on harmony central & both get very good reviews.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='200097' date='May 16 2008, 07:58 AM']The woodwork will be pretty much the same as a US.... The hardware maybe not be as good but its upgradeable.....

If you like it go for it....[/quote]

cheers bud.
no shops near me stock these so i'll have to order it from the good old 'net & hope for the best.

[quote name='artisan' post='200150' date='May 16 2008, 08:54 AM']according to Fender's website they both have alder bodies.

just looked on harmony central & both get very good reviews.[/quote]

Sounds like a good buy then......

I tried a 57 Re-issue in Guitar village in Farnham a couple of months ago. IIRC it was red with a gold anodised scratchplate. I went in there to buy one of the 2008 US standards but the '57 was just begging to be picked up and played.

It was very nice indeed. The neck seemed a bit bigger than the US standard but I was seriously tempted to buy it instead of the USA model. THe build quality was top notch, good setup and no dead spots. For the price it was a real bargain.

Now I think of it I tried a Mexican 62 reissue Jazz in GAK about 18 months ago and the quality was astonishingly good.

I was specifically looking for a '62 in Oly white with a tortie plate and they had a US and a Mex in. For the difference in price (I think the MIM was £699 and the USA £1199) there was not much difference in quality. If it hadn't said MIM on the headstock I think the only way to tell the difference without doing a direct A/B would be to look at the hardware, as Burpster said. MInd you the hardware on the USA reissue isn't exactly high quality.

In the end I went for the US model (the one in my avatar) because it just seemed to have more sprang and bounce, if you know what I mean. Then again that could have been a bit of subliminal guitar snobbery influencing my thought process.

i know what you mean Andy,my visa card wants me to buy a US '57 P bass but the wife will kill me if i do.
but the MIM sounds like a good buy so i think i'll order one tomorrow.
thanks for all your help.

Edited by artisan