Why become a member? ×

Talkin' nuts

squire5

Can somebody put me right.There are various neck radius's(radii?).OK?This then means that there are various neck widths.OK Then that means there are various sized nuts.I have a '69 Precision which needs a new nut.I ordered one from a company on Ebay,tried to put it on today,and find that it's too small.ie short lengthwise,and smaller string spacing.Tried it on my mates '76 P-bass.Fits perfectly!The odd thing is,it fits my J-bass to a tee :) .Does anybody know the various neck dimensions of the Precision,or what size nut I should be looking for. :huh: Thanx guys.

[quote name='squire5' post='199933' date='May 15 2008, 09:14 PM']Can somebody put me right.There are various neck radius's(radii?).OK?This then means that there are various neck widths.OK Then that means there are various sized nuts.I have a '69 Precision which needs a new nut.I ordered one from a company on Ebay,tried to put it on today,and find that it's too small.ie short lengthwise,and smaller string spacing.Tried it on my mates '76 P-bass.Fits perfectly!The odd thing is,it fits my J-bass to a tee :) .Does anybody know the various neck dimensions of the Precision,or what size nut I should be looking for. :huh: Thanx guys.[/quote]

Try a Tusq nut? Measure it yourself, then have a poke around Graphtech's site to find a suitable one. Take a note of the model number then search for it on eBay.

[quote name='squire5' post='199933' date='May 15 2008, 09:14 PM']Can somebody put me right.There are various neck radius's(radii?).OK?This then means that there are various neck widths.OK Then that means there are various sized nuts.I have a '69 Precision which needs a new nut.I ordered one from a company on Ebay,tried to put it on today,and find that it's too small.ie short lengthwise,and smaller string spacing.Tried it on my mates '76 P-bass.Fits perfectly!The odd thing is,it fits my J-bass to a tee :) .Does anybody know the various neck dimensions of the Precision,or what size nut I should be looking for. :huh: Thanx guys.[/quote]

That is weird. I always thought J nuts were narrower than P, and they'd always been a consistent width.

Unless your mate has a P Special?

interesting stuff in here.....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17678&hl=neck+width"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=neck+width[/url]

But there is as you can see a lot more to it than that, as they have done vearious widths of necks for both P + Js.

Bl88dy Fender cant make thier minds up!

:)