Why become a member? ×

modulus quantum neck heavy?

Golchen

I really fancy getting a modulus quantum - just love the look of them. Having said that, I've never actually tried one. Bearing in mind that I have been using a headless Status for some time now, am I likely to find the modulus irritatingly neck-heavy in comparison? I recall reading somewhere that they were a bit like that?

I might add that I am totally unworthy of such fine basses as Status and Modulus make with my current ability, but what the hell, I have spare cash for about the first time in my life!

I'd say this is a real personal thing and you might need to play one before you buy. I know this is said a lot but it is true!

I've played a Modulus Jazz with their usual carbon neck and I did find it had a little neck dive, but Jazzes are usually like this.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful. Maybe someone else can chime in...

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='199831' date='May 15 2008, 07:05 PM']My 6 string Quantum has absolutely no neck dive whatsoever, it is perfectly balanced, and very comfortable to play, and I play it for up to 6 hours per day.

You're welcome to try it, where about are you based ?.[/quote]

Heh! you are too kind. I'm way off in Bedfordshire though, and I'd be very nervous about trying to play a bass infront of someone who actually can play well. One of the problems is that Modulus basses seem very hard to come by over here, but I keep seeing them on eBay in the US, so I've been wondering whether to just go for one - hence the question.

Thanks for the offer though.

My main bass is a tiny headless Zon VB but I also own a pair of Modulus basses, a VJ and a Flea.

I can genuinely say I've had an issue with either of them in terms of neck heaviness compared to my Zon.

I often play them sitting down without a strap with no problems at all.

All three are 4 strings so maybe it's more of an issue with 5's?

I am going to sell bot of my Modulus basses though, only because I'm in lust with something else!

[quote name='bassmanady' post='199827' date='May 15 2008, 07:03 PM']I bought a Q5 without playing one first,and found it to be quite neck heavy.Nice bass tho' although i sold it after 3 months only because i could not get on with a graphite neck.[/quote]
My judgement on the Q5 is only in comparison to some other fives i have owned,which for me had better strap on balance,but then i have had far worse.

Edited by bassmanady