Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender Fretless jazz bass bass setup + mods

Hi...
I have a fender jazz bass fretless that I don't use it.I am thinking to start using it and I want to make a good setup and some mods...
First I want to make a good setup with low action.The neck of the fretless bass should be straight or with loose??I try to adjust the bridge but if lowering the stings I have buzz in open strings.The problem is the nut???The fretboard is epoxied.

I have in my mind to make mods but not expensive.
I want to change the bridge.I bought this bass relic and the bridge is little rusty..I found this cheap bridge

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.gr/NEW-Wilkinson-Chrome-WBBC-Bass-Bridge-with-Brass-Saddles-Precision--Jazz/121040827222/item

Next mod is the electronics..this bass is passive.Is good idea to make it active???the problem is that this bass doesn't has battery box and the body doesn't has hole for battery box.

And final,I want to change the color and make a refinish.the bass is relic now.I wait your suggestions for the color....

THANKS

The battery box would be a problem and would require some woodworking to be done to your bass
If your are going to refinish, it would make sense to do this before painting
The bridge would be good enough quality, Wilkinson is a good brand, but it may need new holes to be drilled and old holes to be filled. Again, best done before painting
The colour is down to personal choice, unless you're doing this to re-sell it (some colours will sell better than others) but if you use car paint in an aerosol you could literally have any colour you like
Read up as much as you can before starting, the Internet is a marvellous thing
Measure three times before you make any alterations!
Best of luck
Harry

[quote name='Soundcheck.effects' timestamp='1356639123' post='1911976']
Are you sure that is necessary to make new holes for the bridge???It difficult to make myself this work??
The paint is easy to me,because I am working in Toyota.we have high quality paints...but I can't decide the color....
[/quote]

You would have to measure or place the new bridge against the old one to compare the hole centres. Some are a direct swap and some are not
I'm sure Toyota will have a drill lying around somewhere!