Why become a member? ×

ABM 300 EVO II Question...

discreet

Now then, now then guys and gals! Ee-urgh! Ee-urgh! Ee-urgh!

I have two ABM 410T cabs handling 600W each at 8 ohms each (total 4 ohms). At the moment I play in two 'rock' bands, one with an [i]extremely [/i]loud guitard and [i]extremely [/i]loud drummer, and the other band... not quite so loud. But still loud!

SO... my question is this:

Would an Ashdown ABM 300 Evo II head be powerful enough for the job? This amp is rated at a true 325W RMS and with the two cabs I'm guessing I should get max power (or at least perceive max SPL, to be more accurate).

Will I struggle to be heard? Will I have enough headroom? Should I go for a 500W amp just to be on the safe side?

Any ABM 300 Evo II owners out there who can enlighten me?

I thank you! :)

Goodness gracious, as it 'appens, as it 'appens. Oooh, now then, Billy! Ee-urgh! Ee-urgh!

[REMAINDER OF POST REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

I had one of these and was running it through 2 2x10s. Even with only reasonably loud musos I found that I ran out headroom only just beyond 12 o'clock on the master (pre amp set so not clipping). As you're in rock bands this hairy sound might be just fine, but it was the reason I moved over to Mark Bass (that and the reduced weight). However, given that you're running 2 4x10s it might well be enough as that's moving a lot of air. Conversely you could ask the others to play quieter (I know, a stupid suggestion given the musos involved).

I had an abm500 which was meant to be 575w. I ran it thru a 1x15 and a 2x10. Now I'm no expert but was surprised to have it quite abit past the half way point on the volume,in 200 capacity venues and thru the pa. Our drummer is extremely loud but I thought it should have been coping a lot better. It died not too long after so may of had problems. We play with a band quite abit and the bassist has an old abm300 with a Marshall 4x10 and he seems loud enough. I have heard a lot of people say ashdown are a 'quiet' *** watts. I now have a lh1000 and 8x10,which never goes above 2.5/3 (yes I know totally over the top but playing infront of a 810 is something quite special!)
*edit* to actually answer your question yes I would definatley go for 500w mate,least you know you have the power if you need it. And sods law one day you will

Edited by clashcityrocker

I had the ABM-500 e3, ABM-410t and ABM-115c and found the head to be nowhere near adequate for my needs. Interestingly, the same cabs with my old Hartke HA2000 were overpowering to the point where I eventually got rid of the 115c and just kept the 410t, which on its own, taking a maximum of 120W from the Hartke, never got above 4 on the master volume (in a loud metal band with a blast-beating drummer and two guitarists with Peavey 6505 and Boogie single recto).

To be fair to Ashdown, another head that did manage to keep up quite well when I borrowed it was the MAG 600; it sounded much louder, more 'lively' (maybe less 'sophisticated') than the ABM and cut through the mix much better, so if you fancied a full Ashdown stack and didn't get on with the ABM500, that might be an option to consider.