Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

walking basslines and modes over chords, making sense but a question?

iconic

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1357509870' post='1923890']
Hi guys

forgive me for my 'thick' questions now

At the momment i am being taught major chord tones and there inversions inside out, to create a walking bassline. How would you use the modes for a walking bassline ? Also how would you work out the relative mode for another mode eg. C lydian is the same as ' ...... '

?

Cheers guys
[/quote]

As you are just starting to learn about walking bass lines, I would not get too hung
up on modes for now. Instead try to concentrate on approach notes.

Here is a set of step by step video lessons on walking bass, which I found
very helpful. I think there are nine or ten lessons in all.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dave+marks+walking+bass+lesson+01&oq=dave+marks+walk&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l2.11768.21193.0.24065.15.12.0.3.3.0.304.1853.2j8j1j1.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.Ext3p_nShJ4"]http://www.youtube.c...c.1.Ext3p_nShJ4[/url]

Edited by Coilte

As a bit of a newbie to this it looks like all it is, is a case of running all of your major scales underneath one another and then your modes across the top.

Someone tell me if this doesn't work. Chordwise I'm not sure if the chords stay the same e.g. for C (Ionian) C Dm Em F G Am B(dim) C

I think that C Lydian starts on a sharpened 4th F sharp, so looks like G major

Edited by Chambo

@ Chambo :

I am by no means an expert on walking bass myself. However in my humble opinion, like I
said to ML94, you seem to be getting yourself bogged down in modes. These can come
(and will make more sense ) later, when you get the basics down. In the meantime, IMO you should
check out the link I gave to ML94 above. Those lessons certainly switched on some light bulbs for me. :)

[quote name='Chambo' timestamp='1357557780' post='1924298']
Completely missed that!
[/quote]

For now I would recommend doing as ML94 is doing, i.e. learn all about chord tones and their inversions.
Learn them REALLY well, until they become almost like second nature to play. These are dealt with in the early lessons on that link. Then move on to approach notes from a half step above and below etc.

You have to learn to crawl before you can "walk" (no pun intended). ;)

Edited by Coilte

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1357509870' post='1923890']
Hi guys

forgive me for my 'thick' questions now

At the momment i am being taught major chord tones and there inversions inside out, to create a walking bassline. How would you use the modes for a walking bassline ? Also how would you work out the relative mode for another mode eg. C lydian is the same as ' ...... '

?

Cheers guys
[/quote]
Answering the last question first.... Lydian is the 4th mode of the major scale, so C Lydian would be in G major- C being the 4th note of the G major scale.
The modes always come in the same order.....
I Ionian
II Dorian
III Phrygian
IV Lydian
V Mixolydian
VI Aeolian
VII Locrian

As far as using modes for walking, the chords are generally telling you what to play.....for example,if you see a C7, it's a major chord with a flat 7, so you can play the notes
from C Mixolydian. The strong notes will be the chord tones, but the rest of the scale can make the line more fluid.

[quote name='Chambo' timestamp='1357553725' post='1924230']
Someone tell me if this doesn't work. Chordwise I'm not sure if the chords stay the same e.g. for C (Ionian) C Dm Em F G Am B(dim) C
[/quote]
Yeah, in major Diatonic harmony ( in key) the chord structure will be the same....
I maj7
ii min7
iii min7
IV maj
V 7
vi min7
vii min7 b5 (half diminished)

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358285964' post='1936563']
I Ionian
II Dorian
III Phrygian
IV Lydian
V Mixolydian
VI Aeolian
VII Locrian
[/quote]

I always remember this with "I don't particularly like my aunt's legs"

Well, made sense in my mind at the time, anyway :-D

Great thread, thanks for the info everyone.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1358291763' post='1936707']
I always remember this with "I don't particularly like my aunt's legs"

Well, made sense in my mind at the time, anyway :-D

Great thread, thanks for the info everyone.
[/quote]

The one I heard was 'I Don't Play Like Miles And Louis'. Should be 'or louis' I suppose, to be pedantic, but it does the trick. :)