Why become a member? ×

tc electronic Staccato 51 - button Split!

Miker400

Hi..

Reading a couple of threads after purchasing this product I was half expecting this happen.. I noticed that 4 out of the 5 LED illuminated push buttons on the front panel appear to have a hairline crack or a manufacturing seem in the plastic. Now I'm not at all heavy handed but within days of each other 2 of the crack like seems have officially split the buttons in 2.

I could go back to Mark at Bass Direct; who I'm sure would address the problem, but my concern is if the product is just exchanged with an off the shelf replacement then the same fault may appear again down the line. I have only owned the amp from new for approx 5 months and its flightcased so in as new condition (well almost!).

So whats the reason for the thread? Has anyone had experience of the same problem? Did anyone have it replaced & find the same fault again at a later date? Does anyone know if tc electronic have addressed the issue to make sure it doesnt happen again? I was hoping that tc electronics may have manufactured replacement buttons - does anyone have experience of a using the tc electronic UK approved repair centre called 'Real Electronics'..

Thanks.

Regards:
Miker

I have exactly the same situation with my RH750. It's an incredibly poor design oversight actually, the face of the amp is so easily crackable and considering that it's encased in such a solid piece of craftsmanship, this definitely could have been thought out better by TC... annoying. It's a shame because as far as I'm concerned it's easily my favourite head I've owned.

I haven't had the chance or the time to look into replacements yet, I've been too busy, but if and when you find out how it can be done I'd be interested to know as I need to do the same ASAP.

[size=5][sup]Been on to the 'Real Electronics' Website where is it does say they are offcial repairers of tc electronic equipment. You can also find their details from the tc electronic website through a support link. I spoke to Real Electronics earlier today & spoke to 2 very polite members of staff who directed me to an on-line repair submission form - not hard to find. After filling that form in I am assured I will recieve a response within 24hrs with instructions and an order code to send the product to them. By enclosing a copy of the receipt, with the amp, the repair will be carried out under warrantee. To gain further clarification of this I spoke to Mark at Bass Direct (always helpful) who also confirmed that Real Electronics are the official UK repair centre for tc electronics (they also do Markbass too!).[/sup]

[sup]Apparently the buttons are a knowm problem; but its sadly reassuring to find that other Bass Chat members have had a similar experience. Thanks for responding..[/sup]

[sup]I am going to fill the online form in tonight; await the response & send the product off. Unfortunately at a time of year when we are busy so time to break out old faithful - ABM.. I'll post again to let you know how I get on with the repair; but at least its good to know that a repair can be done in this country. Apart from that I am not put off by the product, its a great sound with bags of slapping punch and an output that seems to surpass the 450 rating its given. [/sup][/size]

Edited by Miker400

• 2 months later...

Real Electronics will replace buttons under warranty, 2 years I think.
If they agree to go ahead with repair (which they should) make sure they cover courier collection cost as well so you have no cost to you.
If outside of warrant or receipt issue I would contact TC customer services as a recognised issue.

• 3 months later...

#jonsmith.... You're correct, it's a latent defect and should be repaired irrespective of warrantee.

The exact same thing happened to my RH750, mute went first then hairline cracks found in all. Took it into Real Electronics yesterday as I was passing Sheffield, they replaced them all in about half an hour. They believe there was a "moulding issue" with the originals and so far as they know, the replacements are fine and they've not seen any returned for further replacement.

Whilst there they replaced all of the rotary knobs too even though none appeared faulty to me, they said it was just a matter of time before the rubber fins split and the knobs became loose.

I'd be more than happy to use real electronics again, great service in my opinion.

Rob.

Hmmm... my RH450 is an early one (May 2009), but no cracks yet. I hope it stays that way, I imagine if it was going to happen it would have happened already. Good to know that it should not be too hard to find replacements even if I had to pay.

My first RH450 went "puff" in a cloud of white smoke when I switched it on on the 5-6th time I used it. That was a Saturday night. I wrote to them on Sunday. On Monday they got back to me, they had checked and my local dealer (Guitar Guitar) did not have any in stock, so they sent one for me, and on Wednesday they called me to let me know a new unit was waiting for me at my local Guitar Guitar shop. I just had to walk in with the old one and walk out with the new one.
That was great service.

Edited by mcnach

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say the service from Real Electronics was excellent. Having finally got my new RH750, I posted off my RH450 on Monday to have the buttons fixed. On Wednesday I was advised that it had been repaired & on Thursday the courier company tried to deliver it (and would have succeeded had there been anyone in).