Why become a member? ×

First Bass Amp: Advice

Swaff

I know this type of thread has been done before, but the results haven't really fitted my criteria, so i now ask for everyones advice.

I need to get my first bass amp.

It has to be at least 70 watt, and have the volume to perform in loud practises and small gigs. The more EQ and tone options the better, and the amp would be running with a Fernandes Gravity 5X and a Ashdown James Lomenzo HyperDrive

Im looking to spend around £100 - £150 but can push to £200 if the amp really tickles my fancy

All opinions and contributions will be much appreciated

Let the posting commence!!

I'm assuming you're looking for something with a cab rather than just a head here, and that you're happy to buy used.

Ashdown might be the way to go - the Electric Blue can be had for under £200 new (and less used, obviously) or it's possible to pick up a MAG combo for under £200 secondhand. 5 band eq plus high and low switches.

On the other hand you might want to snap [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18568"]this[/url] up. Very good price inc. delivery IMO. Ashdowns are a bit marmite, but I've never heard a bad word said about the Cubes.

If cost is a primary concern, a secondhand Trace Elliot Commando 12 might be worth looking. I bought one for my daughter and sold it on recently as it was far too loud for her bedroom. They're Cheap as chips if you can find one, and you won't loose out when its time to sell it on when you upgrade. I used it for a few rehearsals when I was betwen amps.