Why become a member? ×

Bass set up in Hampshire (Southampton)

Mofo46

Hi,
I recently made my way to a fender after years of playing tobias' and ibanez but my fender jazz needs to be set up and the actioned lowered,and the few places I've tried in the past I wouldn't go back to.
Can anyone recommend someone who can set up my bass?
I'm also looking for a luthier to sort out my double bass but that can wait as I might sell it as is (how I bought it!)
Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers

There is a guy in Holbury called Tony Rockett who should be able to sort that out for you.

He is a luthier and has made a few custom guitars. He seems to know what he is doing. The guitarist in my band used Fret Music in Shirley. Paid £50 for a set up, and the intonation was still WAY out. Shocking service!!!!

I've since taught him how to set up his guitar and intonate it. He'll save himself cash in the long run.

Here's Tony's website: www.tonyrockettguitars.co.uk/

Cheers geddeeee,
That's pretty close to me too, really struggled to fine a luthier so that's a big help.

My girlfriend put her acoustic ibanez into Fret and they basically changed the strings, made no adjustments at all! I don't really rate them, started going to absolutemusic for my gear as its massive and they're really helpful.
Going down to try out a tc electronics bg250 soon, I only hear good things!
Thanks again

No offence [color="#282828"]Mofo46, but setting up a Fender shouldn't be too hard to do yourself. Have you tried?[/color]
[color="#282828"]You will get the info you need at [color="#009933"][url="http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide"]www.[b]fender[/b].com/support/articles/[b]bass[/b]-guitar-[b]setup[/b]-[b]guide[/b][/url][/color] and other vids on Youtube.[/color]

[color="#282828"]I on'y ever paid once for a set up. - the worst £100 I ever spent. Also I[color="#282828"] found it's really rewarding once I'd had a few goes.[/color][/color]

[color="#282828"]Good luck. [/color]

Hi,
No offence taken! I've set up one or two but just want to get my bass sorted for gigging in the new year. The sound and intonation is good its just a high action, I can't play it for very long before my hand wants to fall off! Just wondering what can be done with the bolt on neck? But I think I'll have a look at some research and ask some fender veterans.
I agree on Nevada and absolute music, even though I could walk to fret I won't bother!

Thanks again for the info/feedback, I'll let u know what absolute suggest.

By the way Tony got back to me, £70 for a set up, I don't think I'll bother as I bought the bass mainly due it's price!

£70 seems a bit high. As Grangur said, try out the Fender instructions.

Neck may have too much of a forward bow, hence the high action. Might need a 'shim' in the neck pocket. Once you have learned to set it up properly, it's easy after that....

Good luck!!

Edited by geddeeee

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1355355253' post='1897455']
No offence [color=#282828]Mofo46, but setting up a Fender shouldn't be too hard to do yourself. Have you tried?[/color]
[color=#282828]You will get the info you need at [color=#009933][url="http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide"]www.[b]fender[/b].com/support/articles/[b]bass[/b]-guitar-[b]setup[/b]-[b]guide[/b][/url][/color] and other vids on Youtube.[/color]

[color=#282828]I on'y ever paid once for a set up. - the worst £100 I ever spent. Also I[color=#282828] found it's really rewarding once I'd had a few goes.[/color][/color]

[color=#282828]Good luck. [/color]
[/quote]
Similar problem, don't mean to hijack,but these instructions tell you to detune the bass when setting the truss, everywhere else says leave in tune? My MIM was also high but have managed to get it down to a reasonable height through you tube and these instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

So gave it a go from the fender instructions and apart from not having any shims to measure the truss rod adjustment and a slight intonation problem on one string (mainly due to my tuner going crazy) the action is so much better and much more comfortable to play. I'm going to go through the youtube instructions today and fine tune but glad I have it a go and saved some £££.
Cheers for the advice everyone. I'm now ready for a 3 hour gig we have coming up in a couple of weeks!

[quote name='geddeeee' timestamp='1355415647' post='1898177']
£70 seems a bit high. As Grangur said, try out the Fender instructions.

Neck may have too much of a forward bow, hence the high action. Might need a 'shim' in the neck pocket. Once you have learned to set it up properly, it's easy after that....

Good luck!!
[/quote]

£70 for a setup?!! Thats way over priced!

I wish i was in your area as we offer full setup for £30 and a full fret level, crown, polish and setup for £60

There are too many overpriced, under qualified guitar repair people out there!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1357304095' post='1920621']
£70 for a setup?!! Thats way over priced!

I wish i was in your area as we offer full setup for £30 and a full fret level, crown, polish and setup for £60

There are too many overpriced, under qualified guitar repair people out there!!
[/quote]

Everything like that down South is about twice the price unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

I know you said Southampton way, but if you can make it down to Portsmouth, there's PJs in Southsea which are amazing! The guys in there are great guys and get some really weird vintage stock in sometimes. They set my bass up for me a few months ago and it was spot on, think it cost £25 but I bought the new strings myself as my old ones were knackered!

[quote name='Mofo46' timestamp='1357286897' post='1920275']
So gave it a go from the fender instructions and apart from not having any shims to measure the truss rod adjustment and a slight intonation problem on one string (mainly due to my tuner going crazy) the action is so much better and much more comfortable to play. I'm going to go through the youtube instructions today and fine tune but glad I have it a go and saved some £££.
Cheers for the advice everyone. I'm now ready for a 3 hour gig we have coming up in a couple of weeks!
[/quote]

Excellent news....

It's fairly easy to learn to do a basic setup. Plus it saves you money.
Some 'shops' charge an arm and a leg and do a pretty half-assed job.

Keep rocking!!!!