Why become a member? ×

looking for plans for a 2X15 in the same style as a bfm cab

umph

Been thinking about building my own cab was wondering how hard it is and such forth? Was thinking of going for a 2X15 that i'd be able to wire in stereo so would be able to choose between using one speaker for home or two for louder gigs etc. does anyone know anywhere i could find good plans for effiecent cab designs like the bfm ones? I had a look and don't think he does 2X15s ;<

[quote name='umph' post='197857' date='May 13 2008, 12:01 PM']Been thinking about building my own cab was wondering how hard it is and such forth? Was thinking of going for a 2X15 that i'd be able to wire in stereo so would be able to choose between using one speaker for home or two for louder gigs etc. does anyone know anywhere i could find good plans for effiecent cab designs like the bfm ones? I had a look and don't think he does 2X15s ;<[/quote]

The OmniTop 15 can be built as a 2x15 - the details are part of that set of plans.

P.

[quote name='umph' post='197857' date='May 13 2008, 12:01 PM']Was thinking of going for a 2X15 that i'd be able to wire in stereo so would be able to choose between using one speaker for home or two for louder gigs etc.[/quote]

It won't get much quieter with only one speaker running, as the other will work as a passive radiator (an untuned one, which will play havoc with your sound)). The difference between having one or two drivers operating into a fixed volume will be massive in terms frequency response, unless you're going to seal each driver into its own chamber, in which case just build a pair of 1x15s anyway!

Andy

[quote name='Alien' post='198039' date='May 13 2008, 03:19 PM']It won't get much quieter with only one speaker running, as the other will work as a passive radiator (an untuned one, which will play havoc with your sound)). The difference between having one or two drivers operating into a fixed volume will be massive in terms frequency response, unless you're going to seal each driver into its own chamber, in which case just build a pair of 1x15s anyway!

Andy[/quote]
ahh thanks for the advice guys! i should really have done some more research ;<

Go for an Omni Top 15 with two 15's in it. For no other reason that I would like too see the build diary of one being built :)

In seriousness, I really can't imagine that'you'll need that much volume, my omni 15TB is plenty plenty loud enough.

[quote name='gilmour' post='198755' date='May 14 2008, 09:36 AM']Go for an Omni Top 15 ... my omni 15TB is plenty plenty loud enough.[/quote]
These are very different cabs. The O15 is designed to run with high sensitivity flat to 50 Hz, for a full bottom end well beyond what commercial cabs are capable of. The OTop 15 has even higher sensitivity but is flat to only 100 Hz, giving a vintage style tone but with a much higher output than vintage cabs.