Why become a member? ×

Left hand dexterity - book recommendation

Jam

I've been struggling recently with my left hand dexterity, that is to say when playing slightly faster pieces or sections my left hand just isn't as accurate as it should be after so many years of playing.

I've had "Bass Aerobics" (Jon Liebman) book for a while but it's always just sat on my shelf. I dug it out last night after getting a bit dejected with my playing, played through the first two exercises for about an hour and found my accuracy had improved. You're supposed to do an exercise a week, though the first exercise I found a bit tame, so after playing through that without any mistakes I moved to exercise two which has a lot of chromatic phrases moving around the neck. I still can't play it accurately so am sticking with it, but even after 1 day I'm seeing improvements.

This is the second exercise, though this chap has sped it up with a drum machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwmfOASOI3U

In a nutshell, this book has made me feel better about my playing, and if anyone out there is feeling like their left hand is a bit crap, I'd definitely recommend it!

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1354477742' post='1886478']
This is the second exercise, though this chap has sped it up with a drum machine:
[/quote]

Thank God for that !!! :o

By coincidence, I only bought that book earlier today in the "Books Galore" thread.

I came across that clip, and assumed it was at the same tempo as in the book.

I thought : "if this is the second exercise... what will the 52nd one be like !!!???" :D

Yeah the exercise is a little slower in the book. I'm actually looking forward to working through it, I have a stack of bass books I pick up, study for a bit and then get bored with. I think you'll enjoy it, or even if you don't I imagine you'll see benefits!

I use things like this to warm up. 1st off very slowly so I can check everything is working properly, no complaints from muscles or joints etc, and get blood flowing.
Then start to speed them up.
Was taught a few years ago in college and have since made my own up.
If you ever come across a lick or a pattern that is a struggle, isolate the part that's an issue and use that as an exercise.

Lads, I'd we wary of using an exercise like in the clip (albeit at a slower tempo) as a warm up.

It seems a bit strenuous to be used as such. The word "Aerobic" is in the title of the book, and that infers

being strenuous. I'd only tackle these exercises [b]after[/b] I had warmed up gradually, with gentle stretches first,

then some slow chromatic scales on the bass etc.