Why become a member? ×

Gibson KN signature output problems?

bigsmokebass

Hey Guys,

I got my bass a few weeks back now and played it none stop, the body is thick and fairly heavy which is what i like with being a big bloke: small and light instruments feel inadequate to me.
Everything about this bass is quality and everything I look for in a bass for years (although I'll be switching the strap button soon) there's not one thing I don't like about it. . . .

however the other day I switched between this and my TBird and realized the difference in the output. I know theres a difference in woods and hardware but would anyone know what this could be down to?
Personally I'm not sure whether its down to the wood, the electronics or even the wiring.

The pickups are Seymour Duncan's Hot Stacks (Basslines) so I doubt there'll be a problem with them, surely?

Bit worried to say the least but still within my 30 days.

BSB

I doubt a SD jazz pickup of any configuration will be as hot as a Gibson TB plus - there's bound to be more winds, there's more space. Two coils side by side in an appropriate sized enclosure rather than two coils squeezed into a Jazz pickup because of a desire to retrofit Jazz basses.

Anecdotally, these don't seem to offer much increase in output over your typical Jazz pickup - http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/134/title/seymour-duncan-hot-stacks-for-jazz-bass/cat/16

Relax, just increase the preamp gain. You like the sound that comes out, regardless of the output level, yes?

Edited by neepheid

Cheers Neepheid, I did consider it but I wouldn't have thought there would be THAT much difference :-/

Maybe I'll try it wi my G3 (as the les Paul having humbuckers too) and just see what happens regarding general volume.
The neck pick up can be considered abit too bassy as compared to your average Jazz sound but I can easily roll it off :)

Like I said, other than this "slight" issue, everything else is perfect :)