Why become a member? ×

New Genz / Barefaced rig - first use in anger

Graham

I've recently traded my old EBS Fafner and Proline 4x10 for a Genz Streamliner 900 and a Barefaced Compact, I was very trepidatious about changing my amp as I loved the tone the Fafner produced and I'd had it long enough that I could get my tone very quickly from it in most situations. Also, it was the first "pro" rig I'd bought after upgrading from a Hartke model 1000 head and Pro 4200 cab; so some emotional attachment there too. However, I've recently moved house and just don't have have the space for a 4x10 and rack mount head so I've gone down the micro / light-weigh route.

I'd played through the head mostly on headphones at home and really liked the sound, but after a couple of minutes through the cab there was a crying baby, so to get it up to gig volume, I took the it up to my local jam nigh / open mic last night and it turns out my worries were un-founded - what a tone! Deep, punchy, articulate everything I want in a bass tone, if anything there was too much bottom end and I ended up cutting the bass and boosting the mids in the highest (2.5K? I forget) setting but the sound was fantastic.

Taking it to the jam night was a good move too as I could stand out front and hear other people playing through it and I'm really happy with it.

And to make matters better, I could carry the head, cab, bass in a hardcase and hardcase with all my pedals, leads etc in one trip from the car.

Colour me chuffed.

Great to hear you're pleased with the new rig!

The Streamliner is on my shortlist - it really does sound an amazing piece of kit, but I'm a bit out of the way here to audition one (in any case, I find I can never really tell exactly how I feel about an amp or cab until I hear it in the mix at gig/rehearsal volume).

Might just have to take a leap of faith as I did with the S12T that I have on order!

I don't know if Basildon is anywhere near to where you are in Essex but I am rehearsing with my Streamliner 600 into BF Midget (or Compact, depending on which I grab first) this coming Friday at Honywood Studios Basildon if you want a listen.