Why become a member? ×

Has any one ever added an EMG BQC to a Fender Jazz Bass?

Hey guys

I'm thinking of getting another Jazz Bass at some point but I'm going to modify the hell out of it.

List of customisations I'm contemplating minus the pre amp are:

* DiMarzio Model One in the neck position (mounted in to the pickguard and body)
* Seymour Duncan STK-J2 or SJB-3 Quarter Pounder in the bridge position
* Fender vintage reverse wind tuners
* Hipshot BT-2 drop tuner
* Leo Quan Badass II bridge
* Schaller strap locks

Lately though, I've been fitting EMG BQC pre amps to my 2 Tobias basses and since I've done it, I haven't looked back. The tonal variety and boost I get from them has just blown me away. I used my 4 string one for an audition last night and got the job on the spot. The guys kept complimenting me on my tone too!

Naturally, I now want to add one of these pre amps to a Jazz bass. I've got 2 options though. Do I go for a BQC then use a stacked volume control (which I've spoken to EMG about and they'll happily supply me with the correct 25k stacked one. I want to make it so it still has the jack input on the control plate) or just go for the BTC which doesn't have the mid control and save some space.

Has anyone ever fitted a BQC or BTC to a jazz bass?

Stevie

BTC on my Jazz bass. Works a treat, but I've never liked a mid control on my bass anyway. I had a 3 band Stingray once and never used it...

So I have Volume, Pickup Select (5 pos rotary switch), BTC (stacked treble/bass), Jack socket.
Its a 70s bass so wanted to ensure I could restore to original.

Looks like a nice selection of mods. Not sure how the two pickups will balance in volume though, you might have to drop one down quite low...

Edited by brensabre79

I had a set of JX pickups for my 4 string squier jazz with the standard boxed controls and had to have a battery compartment routed as there was no space in the control cavity.

I've just picked up a Mexican Jazz V that I have been after for ages with the intention of modding. I wanted to put a J5 in the neck and a 40TWX at the bridge and fit a twin battery compartment in the back and a BQC system. But now I'm thinking of just sticking with a set of J5s and the BCS system but still with a battery compartment.

Keep us posted with what you go for in the end, I'd love to know.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the EMG BTC like brensabre79 and can't reccomend it enough!!

The stacked one drops straight in with room for battery etc. Occasionally the large post need swapping out for mini-pots to accommodate the thickness of the battery.

I use these in ALL my basses now :-)

Agreed on the mid control. More mid - just cut treble & bass then turn up slightly, less mid - do the reverse :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a EMG BQC and EMC PU's fitted on my US Jazz Bass deluxe. Something easy on deluxe model as they have all the cavities.
This being said, the BQC system is really small compared to other premps, say good old Barto.
Fitting should be fairly easy.

The BQC sounded [u]great[/u], I got a lot of Marcus Milleresque tones out of it.
Then I got tired of the "clean-ness" of the EMG pickups, and wanted to get more growl finger-style.
So I changed the PUs to Seymour Duncan's Antiquity II.
The combination BQC and Duncan's worked fantastic.
Then, I got into a whole "I need a passive bass" phase. So, I changed the BQC for a John East pre, which operates in both passive and active.
If it wasn't for me wanting both active and passive on the same bass, I would have kept the BQC happily as a great active preamp.

Edited by BassPimp66