Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Beat Consortium - Live bass & human beatbox

pantherairsoft

Hey folks,

This little vid is the first of a few from the same session. It's an improvised track as part of a new project I'm doing... not happy that my 2-piece Drum & Bass project isn't small enough I thought I'd replace the drum kit with a beatboxer!

Hope you like it:

[media]http://youtu.be/7m8jW-J6seQ[/media]

This idea came about after seeing Lee live a while back and realising I'd never seen a band using a beatboxer in place of a drummer so we got together for a jam and this was the results.

New territory for us both so any feedback is much appreciated. More videos to come over the next few weeks. Fingers crossed we'll be taking this live in the new year.

If you like it, then 'like' it - [url="http://www.facebook.com/thebeatconsortium"]The Beat Consortium on Facebook[/url]

Bloody 'ell Shep, now THAT is what I call bass! :) Cranked up it's more of a feeling than a sound - practically made my eyeballs vibrate, let alone my ears. Good work mate ;-)

I'm constantly in awe of what you guys get up to. I'm a big fan of UK bass music anyway, and it's great how you manage to perform it live so damn convincingly. I remember seeing Roni Size many years ago and being disappointed by the (then) week sounding upright they had on stage, but this is just something else... And to my knowledge there aren't many people doing this live. In fact I'm struggling to name more than yourselves and Chris Hargreaves (Fatty Bass Man) both obviously on Basschat. So I reckon you're in a very strong niche with it; be interesting to see where it takes you in time.

Really dig the beatboxing too. That man has talent - definitely something that would translate well to a live performance.

Great work. Keep us posted mate.

Thanks dude! You're very very kind.

If I can get half the success of Chris then i'll be a happy man. Him scoring the Alex Clare tour made me just a tad jealous! :)

Glad you like the vid! That low end is courtesy of the parallel octave down (Octamizer with the filter rolled back) I run along side all the noisy stuff :) We have another video from that same jam coming out this weekend and then hopefully one a week for the next month :)
I also saw Roni Size and was a little unimpressed. I saw Roots Manuva and his bass sound (provided by electric bass) was pretty massive. I love to score a gig like that!

Lee's already talking about us doing a D&B festival in Malta next year that he's been asked to play at... That'd be a nice way to start the live shows! He's a very talented man with a wicked sounding snare, but getting him to count in 4 or think about music like a drummer is a bloody mission. He's like a loose cannon! Lololol.

I have another (3rd, and unless something massive comes along, final for 2013) project that I'll be announcing soon. It's a 2-piece project with a Canadian producer and beat writer. Programmed beats from Canada, all live bass and noise from me and then guest MC's from UK, USA and everywhere else we can branch out. A real international collaboration. We're working on a 4 track at the mo, 2 tracks done and with MC's and 2 beats finished waiting for my bass parts. That record should be the stop gap as we put a full length out at the end of next year. He's signed to a HipHop label in the US and they have agreed to put the record out already so we're very excited about that.

No worries mate, just dropped you a PM.

That pedalboard of yours is obscene! :-D Looks like you need a pilot's license to operate something like that. Bloody awesome sound - I've got an old OC2 that I've started playing around with at home - actually inspired by your good selves! - so I'm planning to produce some DnB or dubstep myself using a 'live' bass rather than the usual synths and subs. Nothing started yet but I'd appreciate your feedback once I have something recorded.

Sounds like you've got plenty of projects on the go which must be great for keeping things fresh. The international
collaboration you mention sounds particularly interesting. Massive market for UK bass music in the States so well worth pursuing that.

Keep us posted mate. Truly awesome sounds :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...