Why become a member? ×

String recommendations Gibson SG Bass

thegom

Hi

Any string recommendations for a Gibson SG Bass (short scale)? The bass is usually referred to as being muddy due to the neck pickup and I'd like to try strings which mitigate that a bit (probably steel roundwounds?) but not to a degree that it sounds too scooped and/or twangy.

Music style is classic heavy rock.

Any recommendations? Many thanks.

C

• 3 months later...

I was going to ask a similar question. Gibson say that the factory fitted strings are not branded (so what's that mean then ? They make strings for production guitars that they then can't or won't sell to you?) They tell me to try GHS 105's. I've had a look at the GHS website and they don't seem to do a short scale 105 string. I'm ready for a string change and I like the tone I've got so I really would like to change them for the same as Gibson fit at the factory. Anyone know exactly what they use ?

• 2 weeks later...

Having played bass since 1976, I have generally found GHS strings to be more compatable with Gibson instruments and D'Addario strings to be more compatible with Fender instruments. Boomers are a good string. I played them for years, until I switched to Progressives for my 4002 and flats for my custom P-J-style bass. They come in short scale as a stock set in light and medium gauges, they are relatively inexpensive, have a reasonable life, and a versatile tone that does not sound "scooped" or, after settling in, not too twangy, to me. YMMV. (And the red silk coordinates well with Gibson's cherry red mahogany finish.)

May I suggest Newtone Platinums? They are round but with finer gauge of outer winding giving a rather less zingy sound but with loads of definition. They'll make them in whatever gauge or scale length you want. Had them on my day to day 'Ray for a good 6 months or more and they still sound really great. Plenty of life but no clank or zing. Not cheap though, but then no more than any other premium type.