Why become a member? ×

Genz-Benz Streamliner...600 or 900?

bassjamm

Hi all...

I've been looking at different amp options due to a change in living quarters. I need something that I can run with headphones and it'd be handy if it had an aux in. Whilst I can do this with my laptop and audio interface, an amp setup would be easier.

So, I'm currently using an Orange TB500. Awesome amp. But seeing as I need quieter/silent playing abilities, I've been looking elsewhere.

Enter the Genz-Benz Streamliner. I really dig that they have cracking 3 valve pre-amp as I love the warmth of valves. I also dig, that like the Orange, there aren't too many controls to confuse me. It's got the aux-in and headphone out, and it doesn't need a speaker load to be run. It's tiny...IT'S PERFECT!

However...do I go for a 600 or 900?

Immediately my thoughts are for the extra few quid, the 900. There's a few of the knocking about on here too which is a bonus.

But...and there is a but...my need for tons of power isn't really so. Any live work I do at present, and likely to do in the future is mainly smaller gigs, backing acoustic acts. Maybe the odd full-on band set up. But I can't see me needing to melt any faces any time soon.

So that having been said, by opting for a 900, would I ever actually push the volume enough to get the tone from it? Or would a 600 be better suited as I'll be working in quieter setting with it and therefor, I assume I'll be able to crank the 600 never to it's limits than a 900.

If I've not lost you yet...what I'm trying to get at, is would my needs suit the volume window that the 600 would operate in better than the 900? I've got this theory in my head that I'll actually get more tone and more of the tube compression imitation thing from the 600 as I crank that up for live stuff, than I would from the 900.

If you're still with me...thanks for listening to my rambles, and thanks for any thoughts, whatever they may be...no doubt something along the lines of "You make no sense man!" Ha!

Thanks
Jamie

I have the 600 and it really does cover a lot of ground. A few times I wish I'd spent the extra few quid and gotten the 900 but that's only because after years of solid state heads I still freak a little when I see a clip light, but on the Streamliner it's perfectly acceptable to have the clip light flash. As for tone at lower volumes - the Streamliner's power section is independent from the valves, meaning that the tone stays the same no matter what the volume. In other words, it's not like an all valve amp where the power amp valves play as big a part in the overall tone as the preamp valves.

Well, at least that's my understanding of it.

Enjoy the headphone out - it's a truly beautiful thing. And the DI is outstanding. I'd hold onto this amp forever just for the sheer quality of the DI.