Why become a member? ×

Ampeg help!

Dick_G

Hi all,

New to the forum so go easy - very new to the tech side of things! :rolleyes:

For the last few years Ive been using an Ashdown Mag 300 and an Ashdown 4x10" deep cab and not had one single problem.

Recently however I was offered a Peavey Tour 450 head and Ampeg B410HLF cabinet for - wait for it -£80! I reckon at that price its stupid not to buy but thankfully did the usual try before you buy and found out that the cabinet needs a new speaker.

Can anyone shed any light on where I can buy one? (Ampeg wont sell me one as im not a trade customer) If its cheap enough ill fix and use it for gigs as its easier to move than my Ashdown.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply,

had a look and its got 86 447 04 on it however getting nothing via google, ebay etc. Och well. Will see if i can find an Ampeg vendor somewhere. Didnt think it would be difficult but starting to think it may be...

Are there any alternative speakers? Other brands with similar specs you could suggest? Seen some posts talking about Eminence Legend BP102-4's but i guess if i do that ill have to replace all 4 speakers in the cab?

Eminence Legends are nice speakers. There are a lot of technical issues, re right volume (not loudness but size of cabinet) when changing speaker cones though. Saying that, I installed a set of them into a cab without going through the techie stuff - as I really don`t understand it - and they sounded great.

Ok that seems like a way to go. Could i get away with only changing the broken speaker for an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Eminence Legend or should i bite the bullet and replace all 4? Really dont want to have to do that this close to Christmas! [/font][/color]

If you're speaking with Ampeg tech guys, they should be able to tell you what the original driver is. If it can't be repaired you should be able to get a replacement from Ampeg using the part no.

I think the Ampeg ones will be OEM - so only available from Ampeg even if they are made by Eminence or Celestion etc.

Whatever you do, DO NOT just stick any speaker in there. The cabinet has been designed to work with a particular driver. There is a reason why £100 of drivers and a plywood box cost a lot more than that. If you just go and stick any old driver in there you are likely to have issues with some frequencies being excessively loud, and others being excessively quiet. i.e. some notes will sound much louder/quieter than others.

If you can find out the right driver it will be worth just sticking with that. Trust me!

[indent=1]Be really careful replacing the drivers in them.[/indent]

[indent=1]I had a really bad experience with a 410HLF - the previous owner replaced the original drivers (on advice from a shop) with some 500w a piece Eminence drivers. Low volume was OK but gig volume and due to the cab tuning/porting the thing farted and wheezed and almost shook my bass head off it due to the air being forced out of it. It was proper mental![/indent]
[indent=1]Luckily, a BCer did a straight swop for the original 100w drivers as he was making some 2X10's out of a beat up HLF and it all worked out great.[/indent]

I'd take the advice that it can't be reconed with a pinch of salt. But it may not even need a recone.

Like Mr. Foxen suggests, lens cleaner tissue and PVA can be applied to both sides of any tears - even tiny ones can sound nasty. Also check the dust cap very carefully to check that it is properly stuck down. Off the top of my head, other things that can cause nasty rattles include loose battens, drivers or control panels loose, speaker leads touching the cone, debris between the basket and cone, and even anything that attached itself to the magnet. It's worth checking the panels to see if pressing on them reduces the problem as well.