Why become a member? ×

Bass machine heads / tuners

Ghost Rider

Does the machine heads or tuners make much difference?

I have some hipshot reverse on a put together which are fine, I had some squier tuners on a vmj which were also great & I've got some genuine fender stamped tuners.

Apart from what they look like they all seem to hold tune well enough so is it worth paying more money for tuners?

Cheers, Anth.

I don't think there's much to be gained beyond the aesthetic. If they work (by work I mean hold a string in tune, turn smoothly, no loose bits rattling when subjected to string vibration) then I'd say leave 'em and spend your pennies on something else.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1352455212' post='1863194']
I don't think there's much to be gained beyond the aesthetic. If they work (by work I mean hold a string in tune, turn smoothly, no loose bits rattling when subjected to string vibration) then I'd say leave 'em and spend your pennies on something else.
[/quote]

Yeah, I did think that as long as they work then like you said it just what they look like.

Same kind of thing that a Skoda will get you to the shops a well as a Ferrari (You may get a hotter chick with the Sportscar though!) :D

I was looking at these: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BASS-GUITAR-MACHINE-HEADS-FOR-FENDER-PRECISION-MUSICMAN-ETC-ELIPHANT-EAR-CHROME-/190584091580?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c5fb273bc"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BASS-GUITAR-MACHINE-HEADS-FOR-FENDER-PRECISION-MUSICMAN-ETC-ELIPHANT-EAR-CHROME-/190584091580?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c5fb273bc[/url]

Cheers, Anth.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1352455212' post='1863194']
[/quote]

Only thing I would add is that if your bass is neck heavy and dives, a set of light weight machine heads may help. (Or in the case of Mr Neepheids "thunderbird"(?)....just chop its head off...lol :D )

Edited by Acebassmusic

[quote name='Ghost Rider' timestamp='1352509153' post='1864175']
How can you tell if a neck is heavy?
[/quote]

Its not so much that the neck itself is heavy. Its whether the balance of the whole bass when youre playing (stood up) means that you have to keep supporting or lifting the neck up with your left hand.

It did for me. My bass marginally sounds "livelier," but more importantly, it does not have neck-dive anymore. On a traditional P-bass or J-bass the large Fender "elephant ear" tuners weigh about 4 ounces each. That's a total of about a pound, a little less than a half-kilo, of weight that has to be dealt with. Hipshot Ultralight tuners weigh only about 2 ounces each. That's a total of about a half-pound, a little less than a quarter-kilo, of weight. So, switching out to the lighter tuners saved me about 1/2 pound or a little less than 1/4 kilo of weight. That doesn't seem like much, but it got rid of neck dive, and over the course of a 3 to 4 hour gig it is very telling on my shoulder.