Why become a member? ×

Loopers

Stephen Houghton

Which would you guys recommend, the Digitech Jam Man Stereo or the Boss RC30, or any others that are better that you know of, money is an object so cant spend sh*t loads, out of these two which would you buy?

Looking to invest and the Jam Man seems about £100 cheaper, it only has 35 mins of recording time but you can add a card and expand this to 16hrs. Boss has 3hrs recording time built in.

Advice greatly appreciated!

:)

Edited by Stephen Houghton

Would like to be able to store lots of tracks and switch between them or come back to them in the future. Am i right in thinking if i made 5 loops of 5mins long that would take up 25 mins of storage? I know it sounds obvious but havent a clue about loopers. So if i want to keep that without loading on to computer i would need plenty of storage wouldnt I?

Edited by Stephen Houghton

Yeah thats how it works (re storage 5 tracks etc), and yes if you didn't want to load them on to a computer you would want a lot of storage, I just find as jam tools go the simpler units are better and more fun, but then I play and forget, or record it on another device.

I've tried to get an Ipad being a decent looper setup but the midi implementation is always a bit iffy.

I was dithering between the Boss RC2/RC3 even though the RC3 has more storage, and longer recording time,
I chose the RC2 as its quicker on the fly.If your looking for a more PC compatible looper then RC3 is better but more fiddeling about

Im loving the RC2 its good enough for me,to take ideas to the band and give myself something to practice with at home,
there's a one shot option that will give you 16 mins.
Iv not had a problem of running out of time yet as most of my loops never go over a 1min or so.
Im loving it alot of fun.
I hope it doen't sound too much like im bigging up Boss.
I saved myself £70 by getting someone to post me one from the States.

Hope that helps :)

I tried the Boss RC2 single pedal looper and really struggled to master all the numerous functions crammed into the small pedal .
Pretty much gave up on it and sold it on .
I recently splashed out on the RC30 twin pedal looper which I find much easier and far more intuitive to use , looping far easier and massive memory to boot . I probably only use 5 % of its capabilities with basic drum / bass / guitar loops as I am trying to brush up on my guitar solo ing . I will hopefully learn more of its potential the more I use it.
I'm probably a bit thick as other people use the single pedal to great affect , but I really glad I paid out the extra money for the twin pedal.

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1352598412' post='1865122']
Think I may go for the Digitech Stereo available for £155.43 at Thomann, much cheaper than uk its £10 postage, but if you buy the bundle version with gigbag, you get a £27 bag for a tenner cos postage is free if you spend over 199 euros. Good deal?
[/quote]

Ended up buying the Boss RC30 off evilbay, got one brand new opened and used once for £185, couldnt resist it at that price. Thanks for advice

Cheers!

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1352764694' post='1867298']
I'm in need of a looper now, anyone have any experience with the Digitech JamMan Stereo? Looks to be the best value for money looper new.
Cheers, Marshall.
[/quote]

I have been checking it out and for the money its great, check the Thomann site for lowest price. I only went foor the Boss cos its a dual pedal looper and it was a good deal. Afew Jammans on evilbay at the moment.

• 3 months later...

I've got a little question about the RC-2. Is there a way of controling the input volume when recording on the pedal? I love this pedal and has proved a handy tool to have, but I'm having volume issues. What i record is sometimes not loud enough to cut through the band i play with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The main difference between the Jam Man and the Boss is that the Boss has this clever thing incorporated in it that is called Quantize, which means if your start / stop point is slightly off beat it will automatically sync it so that it is spot on.

That's what I liked about the Boss.