Why become a member? ×

Dodgy Fender Mexican Jaz???

solo4652

I've been offered a Fender Mexican Jazz, but I'm suspicious. Some cock-and-bull story about his grandfather buying it new 7 years ago and then leaving it to the seller in his will. I've asked for pictures - none so far. We haven't got as far as discussing price yet. What critical information should I ask for to help me convince myself that this is a genuine sale/deal? Are there identification numbers, or something? if so, can they be checked against some sort of register? Assuming that it's a genuine 7-year old mexican Jazz in good condition with a hardcase (as claimed), what shall I offer? £200?? All advice to prevent me buying a dog, or something stolen, gratefully received.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='195257' date='May 9 2008, 10:05 AM']tbh i dont see why anyone would try to sell you a fake mexican, whats the point??[/quote]
Because some people will do anything to make a quick buck.

get the serial number off the headstock, go on [url="http://www.fender.com/support/mexican_instruments.php"]the fender site [/url]and it tells you what year it is, for eg, mine is MZ3 which is 2003/4.
if hes being genuine and its a 7 year old bass it should start MZ0+ 5 digits 2000-2001 MZ1+ 5 digits 2001-2002

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='195296' date='May 9 2008, 11:00 AM']get the serial number off the headstock, go on [url="http://www.fender.com/support/mexican_instruments.php"]the fender site [/url]and it tells you what year it is, for eg, mine is MZ3 which is 2003/4.
if hes being genuine and its a 7 year old bass it should start MZ0+ 5 digits 2000-2001 MZ1+ 5 digits 2001-2002[/quote]

Thank you! - Exactly the advice I was after.