Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz American Deluxe V MIA 96 SOLD PLEASE REMOVE

patpatel

Hi Basschatters,
I'm selling my [b]Fender Jazz American Deluxe V [/b]
Made in the US 1996 - passive
Vintage White
Great condition, just a few dongs on head and back (see photos).

Very solidly built, great fast neck and very light for a 5-string - 4,2kg.
Pau Ferro neck
John Suhr Pickups
PLEASE NOTE: I'm the second owner, the first owner took out the active circuit and a professional tech converted it into a passive bass.
Knobs are now Main Volume - Pickup Blender- Tone
I don't have the original active circuit! I usually only play passive basses and this bass worked great for me like this. But this might not be for everyone… very easy to put another active circuit in though.
Everything else is in original condition.

Comes with original Fender Deluxe hard case. First owner cut an opening into the inside of the case (see pics) for cables etc. Doesn't look very elegant but works.

I'd like £720 for this
I'm based in Europe but will offer free shipping (GLS) to the UK or anywhere else in the EU

Here's a bit more info from MikeBass (hope it's ok if I use this!), he has the same model:

[i]Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:03 PM[/i]
[i]from my previous research (I have an identical twin of this bass):"1996 Fender American Deluxe V Jazz Bass Deluxe. Firstly, the double cutaway body is alder. 1995 - 1998 USA Deluxe Jazz Basses are the only ones to ever have the Ash - Alder - Ash sandwich body. this was augmented with gorgeous ash veneer on both the top and the back[/i]
[i]Another fine feature is the fingerboard, only the Five String Deluxe has Pau Ferro wood. [/i]
[i]The neck itself is maple with graphite reinforcement. The Five String Deluxe is stock with Gotoh tuners.[/i]

[i]Another feature from this period is the John Suhr designed pickups that were only featured on Jazz Basses from 1995 to 1998. If I’m not mistaken I also believe Surh had a hand in designing the preamp in this Bass. It’s a 9volt, multi-band EQ with stacked knobs. All USA Fenders made during 1996 bore a Fender 50th anniversary emblem on the back of the headstock."[/i]

[i]hope this answers some questions - awesome bass, I really like mine. Powerful sound.[/i]
[i]cheers, [/i][i]Mike [/i]

Edited by patpatel

Hi, I dont know why the previous owner took the active pre out - it's what makes this bass stand out (plus with the eq flat, it sounds like a passive jazz anyway!)
I thought ALL 1996 models had the 50th anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock - yours may have 'come off'?
have a look at the serial numbers - 96 models start with N6**** - 97 would be N7**** etc.

Great sounding bass - fingerboard fairly wide but small, lighter body.

hi mike, I don't know why he took it out either... but probably sounded a bit too 'bright' for him, even in passive mode the suhr pickups are quite 'modern' sounding.
great bass though, I sometimes used it with a sadowsky preamp and it sounded fat!
the sticker on the back of the headstock must have come off, serial number is N6xxxxx so definitely 50th anniversary.
thanks for letting me use your quote.
cheers
and bump

I used to own one of these. I could never quite get on with the stock Fender 3-band eq so swapped it out for a J-Retro and the bass just came alive. Those big slug pickups work really well on the B string too.

• 2 weeks later...