Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Singing tips/lessons

redbandit599

Hi all

We're trying to break in a new singer (he's my brother in law so no nasty sackings, punch ups etc...), he's a real fan of the type of music we play, mostly classic metal and hard rock and can hit the right notes most of the time. But, he is an absolute beginner and so learning as he goes with somewhat sporadic practices (families, work and shifts get in the way for us old rockers these days...)

Do any of you know of any good online resources/guides/lessons that would help a new singer learn his craft? I'm thinking maybe tutorial videos, but also it might be good if he could plug in his mike to his pc, sing along to tracks and listen back.

This secod idea sounds simple enough, but not something I've done before and I've no experience of recording via a PC. Any tips or advice welcome!

Cheers all

Jason

I may sound like a broken record even though I have the kilos to prove I'm not, but I keep stressing that taking care of the voice is the most important thing, closely followed by a motivating steep-as-possible learning curve.

It's experienced teachers that will give you this.
How is a YT-film going to listen to what he does and correct it right there and then? How is an instructional video going to work out a reasoned and professional plan for the specifics of his actual use of his voice?

See the teacher!

best,
bert

Hi Bert

Makes sense, and that's what I'd do.

But (knowing my brother in law well) he's the kind of guy who'd like some technical insight before getting up the courage to go to a singing teacher. He's an engineer and these guys need information.

With a bit of basic information, even just terminology etc he will feel more confident and able to understand what the teacher discusses and also to articulate what he needs. That's where I think maybe a forum, video etc could help initially.

Cheers

Jason