Why become a member? ×

Greetings everyone and props to Paul @ 13 Guitar Co

Gorbyrev

Greetings everyone! I am here to learn, but thought I would start my basschat career with a link to a thread about a bass made by the amazing Paul @ 13 Guitar Co, the extraordinary custom St Paul #4. The story goes in a familiar vein. Regularly frequenting the pages of Bass Direct I noticed a very unusual bass in the second hand section which I could not get out my head. I had to take a punt. It was my great good fortune that a guy on the Continent had bought it, loved it, but for a couple of small reasons moved it on. Have a feeling this guy has a bit more disposable than me.

Anyway there is a community of independent British luthiers that are turning out amazing instruments for the sort of prices that medium range cookie cutter basses are being sold for. Has there been a better time to invest in a handcrafted instrument than now? I took the plunge and was delighted and if that gives any of you courage to do the same, mission accomplished. Here is the thread from Bass2bass:

[url="http://www.bass2bass.net/show-off-your-bass/81-13-guitar-co-saintpaul-4-bass.html"]http://www.bass2bass.net/show-off-your-bass/81-13-guitar-co-saintpaul-4-bass.html[/url]

[quote name='Gorbyrev' timestamp='1351503762' post='1851751']
Greetings everyone! I am here to learn, but thought I would start my basschat career with a link to a thread about a bass made by the amazing Paul @ 13 Guitar Co, the extraordinary custom St Paul #4. The story goes in a familiar vein. Regularly frequenting the pages of Bass Direct I noticed a very unusual bass in the second hand section which I could not get out my head. I had to take a punt. It was my great good fortune that a guy on the Continent had bought it, loved it, but for a couple of small reasons moved it on. Have a feeling this guy has a bit more disposable than me.

Anyway there is a community of independent British luthiers that are turning out amazing instruments for the sort of prices that medium range cookie cutter basses are being sold for. Has there been a better time to invest in a handcrafted instrument than now? I took the plunge and was delighted and if that gives any of you courage to do the same, mission accomplished. Here is the thread from Bass2bass:

[url="http://www.bass2bass.net/show-off-your-bass/81-13-guitar-co-saintpaul-4-bass.html"]http://www.bass2bass...aul-4-bass.html[/url]
[/quote]

Hi there Gorbyrev, I looked and first off I must say......holy crap, what an ugly looking bass! Sorry thats maybe a bit harsh. Its almost like someone looked at a sei bass and thought......hmmmmmm. The nordstrands are excellent, i have similar in my Ibanez. Everything else looks pretty good. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it will be great for recording......not so sure about gigging with it. Anyway welcome to BC take it all with a pinch.

Cheers Leen.

Hi Mark,

Welome to basschat. It's a great forum and I am sure you'll find lots of great info on here to learn from.
Thanks for the props too! Did you know we at 13 guitar Co. now have a competition where you can win a bass?! Check out the affiliates thread (at the bottom of the homwe page). You can also check out our latest builds.

Thanks-Paul-

Excellent news and hope all is going well in Liverpool. Those lastest builds look awesome. I love the 36 fretter. Thanks for you comments Leen. It is certainly a different looking bass but it all makes sense when you play it. It makes a great live bass as the tone is so tweekable and it sounds so good. The Norstrand pups and pre-amp were one of the clinchers for me. Could have waited for for an Ibanez SR with fatstacks to come up but this is handbuilt masterpiece. I think it looks intriguing. The bottom horn is like a Pedula and the single cut makes it look a bit like a Michael Dron. It works well with the zebrano wood which is extrovert already. Bass players have always struck me as more adventurous than guitarists, good thing in my book!

Edited by Gorbyrev

Will do - thanks! I have an eclectic bass history. First bass back in the '80s was a 32" scale Yamaha BBVI, then a Lag Rockline with a solid maple body and EMG P/J setup with light beams radiating from the volume knob (painted, not Simms!) then next up was an Aria SB, passive but through neck with lovely red ash wings, a couple of pawnshop dregs, a 6 string ESP LTD B-206 which is almost up for sale, and now the 13 Guitar singlecut.

Guess I've done my best to avoid some of the more obvious choices but always hankered after a coffee table bass!

Edited by Gorbyrev