Why become a member? ×

Nailed it...surprisingly

Muzz

Ok, so a very occasional function band rehearsal today to run through some new numbers, and the one I'd been wary of was finally dragged into the light: You Can Call Me Al. I'd been wary because I really didn't think a four-piece could pull it off, but Blimey, it worked a treat. A bit of creativity from the keyboards (and a lot of splits for different patches) and some moderate clenching on my part, and by the third run through it sounded good - even the two-bar bass 'solo'. Very pleased.

Anyone had misgivings about a cover before the band played it, only to find out they should have had a bit more faith?

Edited by Muzz

Yeah, it's not really possible exactly as per the record ( see t'other thread about that around here somewhere), but there's a ton of playthroughs on YouTube which get pretty close to the live version, so it's not as hard as it could be. I was more worried about the overall feel and sound - after all, there's 27 people on stage with Mr Simon on one version, that it worked at all with guitar, bass, keyboard and drums was the biggest surprise.