Why become a member? ×

Overwater Contemporary J4

Rusco

I wasn't looking for a new bass but spotted these for £399 delivered so ordered a trans black one. For the price it's an amazing bass and plays like dream. I only have a cv60 jazz and BB424X to compare with but it seems a real step up.

Build quality is good, if not quite Yamaha good, with a slight gap one side of the neck pocket and some cracked lacquer the top side of the neck where the nut is.

I've noticed the bridge pickup is a lot quieter than the neck one which I think I recall another post about, apart from that pretty pleased. I wonder if Overwater are changing the model if they are being discounted ?.

I've got a trans black J4 like yours and really like it. Same issues as yours too, slight gap down one side of the neck joint and pups not equal in volume (sorted those now, there are two little dials on the circuit board if you open the cover). Overall though, a really nice bass. Nice modern range of tones and very playable.

I paid the full £580 for mine though and they've come down in price to a very good £400. Cheaper than a MIM Fender which they blow the socks off IMO.