Why become a member? ×

SX Jumbo Acoustic Bass

BASainty

So I've had this bass hanging around for ages and I haven't touched it within this last year.

I would like to give it a good going over and start using it more now but im not sure if its worth my while, has anyone had any experience with these and could advise me?

Ideally I need the string height to be lowered, the strings to be changed, someone to look at the electrics and generally give it a going over.

The specs are as follows:

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Topboard: Solid Spruce
Back & Side: Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Bridge: Rosewood
Soundhole's Decoration: Mahogany Inlayed
Back Center: Mahogany Inlayed
Side Board Binding: Mahogany Inlayed
Fingerboard Binding: Mahogany
Fret Wire: Nickel
Machine Heads: Diecast Chrome
Upper Nut: Bone
Scale: 864 mm
5 Band Preamp E.Q. Shadow P7[/font][/size]

Bare in mind they only cost around £200 to buy brand new, this is why im not sure if its worth me spending any money on it or just buy a new one.

i have a cheap ish ashbury acoustic bass. The bass is nothing special but do the dirty job when i do unplug gig or stuff like that. on a acoustic bass i tend to don't need to mess around with the EQ too much so i most likely do the EQ on the amp or somekind of external preamp etc and leave the bass internal EQ flat and use it as volume control only. Reason for that is the preamp is not fantastic so bes to leave it in place. Alot of ppl use flatwound on their acoustic bass but i leave my as bronze strings which work well for me and sound great as well.

Action wise it seems the acoustic bass will have higher action then electric bass.

I used to live in Cardiff years ago, there was a jumbo-shaped SX acoustic bass guitar hanging at Gamlins (iirc) for £200, I've tried it a few times and quite liked it, more than any other inexpensive ABG. They make good instruments, especially for the money.

The only way you can do it is by taking the bridge saddle out & carefully sanding the base of it until it gets low enough - often this will only make a very small difference & you have to be careful not to take too much off, and also to keep it flat while you're sanding it.

There's not a lot else you can do with an acoustic except a full neck reset, and if it's only a cheap bass it wouldn't be worth the exspense.

I just tighten the truss rod by a little after I put a set if new bronze strings on. It only make a little difference but I only want to straighten the neck.

I tend to leave the action higher and just play it. I guess is like acoustic guitar and electric guitar theory that acoustic guitar tend to require more finger strength to fret.

I'm not sure if you can get the action as low like the electric bass action.

I use Fender acoustic bronze bass strings myself which the gauge is 45-100.

The tone and sound is ok and it does the job, reason I use it because is cheap and can be bought online for £10-13.

Other brand could or probably better but it cost alot more.

Overall I'm happy with the fender strings.