Why become a member? ×

Victor Wooten percussive slap

ML94

Hi guys

Another question on a slap master

I mostly focusing on his more Slower grooves, e.g. The little excerpts from the DVD

My question is how does he play the melody but also keep that nice percussive Rhytmn going on at the same time. I've tried that with muted slap and pop but I just can't get it to sound anywhere slick as he does it. I've seen sometimes he would do like a down or upstroke but you would pick that up just because of the attack. But I'm more focused on those little percussive techniques he does when playing a slow melody/groove.

Any ideas ?

He's playing with thumb and 2 or 3 fingers there,so first of all you could try that technique. If you take a line that is
similar to that groove,you could play the first few four notes as normal and then try playing playing the next notes
on muted strings going from thumb,index finger,middle finger in steady quavers before playing the fretted notes
again. Just take it steady to begin with. (That tune is in the Wooten transcription book if you're interested).

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1350949028' post='1845582']
Cool! Jazz Bassoon.
The bassoon was my way into reading bass clef when I was a nipper (and the reason I was allowed to stop playing the bloody recorder!!)
[/quote]

Haha its pretty incredble.

The video I was reffering to is actually on youtube. If you skip to the 1hr+ mark there are some lesser used techniques shown (not what Victor does though I don't think).

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyMfwIWSrsE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyMfwIWSrsE[/url]