Why become a member? ×

Six string question

I've had a six string , gathering dust for a few years and due to financial issues have decided that maybe its better to offload my 5 string and a four.
Recently I put the 6 for sale, but after noodling around the other night , I realised its not as complicated as first thought.
When I was on a band, I never had time to learn it .getting the songs ready for rehearsal was taking up enough time in itself.

Anyhow , the question is ; do I have to alter the tuning of six string to cope with down tuned songs by the likes of Metallica etc.( alot of that stuff is d flat etc)?
Cheers

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1350729731' post='1842732']
Don't know about the metallica stuff but for a lot of drop tuned stuff you'll need to down tune ( or tune the B up ) for the riffs where the bass follows the guitars, where they use the open C, C# etc to pedal off.
[/quote]

Drat! You'd think that in an ideal world, 4 string normal tuning, 5 string low moody stuff and a six string would do all of the above.)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1350731544' post='1842771']
Drat! You'd think that in an ideal world, 4 string normal tuning, 5 string low moody stuff and a six string would do all of the above.)
[/quote]

The solution to all life's tuning problems - don't play metal, or at least not with guitarists that insist on alternative tunings. :)