Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Dimarzio loaded Yamaha RBX270

TRBboy

Hey everybody!

I am reluctantly selling my modded RBX270, which has served me well for the last couple of years as a backup bass. I'm selling purely because my main bass is a 5 string now, so I figure I need to get a 5 string backup really.

I bought the RBX as a bit of a project: I knew I wanted to change the pickups and re-wire it before I even got it. I bought the bass used but in good condition, and I've equipped it with a Dimarzio Model P/J set, re-wired it with a CTS wiring kit and Neutrik jack socket, and upgraded the bridge to a Wilkinson one with the large brass saddles. I also gave it a thorough setup, fret polish and clean up. I was absolutely blown away by the finished article! It plays beautifully and sounds fantastic, sits well on the strap and is pretty light. I think it's in pretty good nick all told, it's obviously been played, but no cosmetic damage other than some very light scratching on the paint surface which you'd expect.

[b]I will include a spare set of D'addario EXP Coated strings .045" - .105" and a Warwick gigbag[/b]. I would prefer collection, but we can come to some arrangement if you need it shipped. [b]*Will now send via courier to mainland UK for £10*[/b]

I'm asking [s]£185 £175[/s] [size=5][b]£160[/b][/size]. Please also check out my feedback thread (link in sig below).

Thanks for looking!

[attachment=121058:IMG_2151.JPG]

[attachment=121059:IMG_2152.JPG]

[attachment=121060:IMG_2153.JPG]

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='SoVeryTired' timestamp='1350306981' post='1837029']
Have a bump, just because you did what I'd thought about doing to my old RBX360!
[/quote]

Thanks man! It was well worth doing. They're well built basses for the money, but the pickups and controls are the weakest point IMHO. The great thing with the Dimarzios too is that the bridge pickup is two parallel coils side by side so is humbucking. It still sounds very much like a j bridge pup, just gutsier and without any hum!

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1350343337' post='1837722']
I bet this is an animal!
[/quote]

It's great, it really is! Dimarzios are my favourite P & J pickups by a long shot (after much experimentation with others!), I wanted something that was nice and ballsy, but passive, because it's my backup bass I didn't want to have to worry about batteries in it. It's solidly built and really does play so, so well for a "budget" bass. I know I'm biased, but I think you'd be hard pushed to find a better bass for the money!

[quote name='SoVeryTired' timestamp='1350410507' post='1838499']
If I was in the market for a four I'd be doing a trade with you as I've got a good 5 going spare, and I've realised I'm a PJ man.
[/quote]

Your MTD is a bit nice for a backup bass, I've been looking for the cheapest decent 5er possible! Actually, I've bought something and its arriving tomorrow :D

If you are interested though, make an offer and maybe we can do a deal. I need to move it before the wife notices there's one more than there was before!

I think I might struggle to get it past the wife after spending the weekend convincing her of the exact bass I 'need' (there was a spreadsheet involved)! And I think it would prompt a "didn't you sell one of those last year?"...

But it's worthy of a bump because knowing how good my equivalent sounded with the stock pickups, I can only imagine how good the Dimarzios sound in yours.

Thanks for the comments Truckstop, Cocco and AttitudeCastle! Sorry, I completely missed those posts earlier! I was so blown away with it when I finished it that my (then) old faithful USA Jazz took a back seat for quite a while...... The RBX was lighter, felt nicer to play and sounded better! in fact, it prompted me to buy a pair of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz for my Jazz. I've always been a big Yamaha fan, but I really think that the RBX270 is one of the best budget basses out there. In fact, I'd probably take one over a mex standard fender.

Right, final price drop at £160. If it doesn't sell at this price, i'll probably put the original pickups back in and sell the bass and Dimarzios separately......

Take this opportunity to get a helluva bass for nowt! :D